ZeroWater filters

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
karamba

#1: Post by karamba »

Would you recommend to use ZeroWater pitcher for removing TDS ( which is about 200 here) from water ? Or should I stick to the in tank water filters such as Rocket Espresso Water Reservoir Filter ?
This is purely do avoid preventive descaling, which is not recommended by my espresso machine manufacturer

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

ZeroWater removes everything - gets you down to 0 - 6 ppm, which of course would not scale. It would be a little acidic and have zero alkalinity, so you want to add a little bicarbonate. The 'rpavlis' recipe that is discussed frequently on this forum (from the late chemistry professor and HB member Robert Pavlis) is easy and recommended. It is simply 0.38 grams of potassium bicarbonate added to a each gallon of distilled (or otherwise purified, like Zerowater.) You can use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) as well. No need to be too exact -- ballpark of 0.4 g of KHCO3 or 0.3 g of NaHCO3 per gallon is fine.

If you're on San Diego water utility, I suspect your TDS is even higher than 200 ppm, and as the TDS gets high you need to replace the zerowater filter more often, making it expensive. Buying gallons of purified water may be cheaper for you. Your most cost effective and low waste source for deionized water might be to use a refill station at your grocery store.

The San Diego utility numbers can be found here: https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/ ... t-2019.pdf
Note that the water has very high chloride, which can cause corrosion and is difficult to remove. RO systems and deionizing filters (like Zerowater) are needed to effectively remove that chloride.

'More on Zerowater can be found in this thread: How pleased are you with ZeroWater solution?
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

karamba

#3: Post by karamba »

Thanks Pat, San Diego water got noticeably better in the last years. In 2015 total hardness was 300 the last three years for our waterplant around 175. I also tested it with hardness strips - showed closer to 120-150. Not sure if this is related to the weather pattern, we were lucky not to have severe droughts lately as before, or they changed the water treatment.
Anyway, you probably are right about buying water. I used to have a RO osmosis system but is much hassle, takes a lot of space and is a flood hazard too I decided to remove it when doing a small kitchen remodeling.