Whole Latte Love water recipe

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
kbell

#1: Post by kbell »

Hello,

Awhile back, Whole Latte Love put out a video on Youtube with a very simple (to me) water recipe geared to a 1 gal bottle of distilled water. It uses baking soda and Epson salt. I use it simply because it is a very simple process which he walks you through step by step. Heck, even I could follow it!

I use this in my espresso machine. My pour over water is simply Costco bottled water.

Anyone else using the WLL recipe? Does anyone else have one gallon recipes?

chipman

#2: Post by chipman »

Could you post a link to the video?

Shojin

#3: Post by Shojin replying to chipman »

I presume it's this one.

chipman

#4: Post by chipman »

Thanks.

Blacktip

#5: Post by Blacktip »

I am using Dr. Pavlis recipe - adding Potassium Bicarbonate only to the water. I haven't tried anything else, so I can't compare taste.

10 gram of Potassium bicarbonate to 1000 ml of water to create concentrate. Then, add 37 ml of that concentrate to each gallon of distilled water (I use deionized water).

I wonder whether adding magnesium sulfate improves taste?

ben8jam

#6: Post by ben8jam »

I use a similar recipe. 10g Potassium bicarbonate to 100ml of DI water. Then 4-6ml of that to a gallon. A bit easier cause I can use a medicine dropper.

I did try the Sodium + Mag version from Barista Hustle. And I never got great tastes out of it. BH has a bunch of recipes and I tried a few. The best was lowest TDS of around 50, but still Potassium only tastes better and is way easier.

kbell (original poster)

#7: Post by kbell (original poster) »

Sorry I hadn't replied earlier. I'm going to have to adjust my notification settings. Yes, That is the video.

Ben and Blacktip, you both use Potassium Bicarb, but it appears to be vastly different amounts per gallon. Am I reading this correctly? I'd imagine part of this is individual taste.

Blacktip

#8: Post by Blacktip replying to kbell »

Both recipes are very close. ben8jam uses 100 ml of concentrate. I use 1000 ml of concentrate.

PandaSPUR

#9: Post by PandaSPUR »

ben8jam wrote:I use a similar recipe. 10g Potassium bicarbonate to 100ml of DI water. Then 4-6ml of that to a gallon. A bit easier cause I can use a medicine dropper.

I did try the Sodium + Mag version from Barista Hustle. And I never got great tastes out of it. BH has a bunch of recipes and I tried a few. The best was lowest TDS of around 50, but still Potassium only tastes better and is way easier.
Thanks for referring me to this thread. This seems easy enough. Is there a recommended brand you all buy potassium bicarbonate from, or is anything from the local shop and Amazon alright?

brianl

#10: Post by brianl »

just make sure potassium bicarb is the only ingredient!