Which water filter do you use/recommend?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
romaen

#1: Post by romaen »

Hello!

I am using the Breville water filter right now, and I would like to know if you guys use the "default Breville filter" or some better / cheaper / different once? (and how often do you change them?)

BaristaBob

#2: Post by BaristaBob »

I have been using the cheaper filters offered on Amazon. Haven't experienced a problem in over two years.

I also clean the water tank twice a month and change out the filter every two months.

After all, water is your main ingredient when it comes to espresso.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

romaen (original poster)

#3: Post by romaen (original poster) »

Thanks for you reply!

hbn

#4: Post by hbn »

someone recommended BWT water filters to me because they remove/prevent limescale. you can find them on amazon for $20 for a pitcher and 3 filters. very cheap. they also add magnesium to the water. win/win, I prefer them to brita for general use as well

trunks235

#5: Post by trunks235 »

I had a few questions on this topic as well.

I recently got my BDB swapped out due to issues and now all the machines come with a new Claro Swiss filter that is WAYYYY more expensive than the old filters (20$ for 3 months vs 30$ for a year supply). I really don't want to buy such an expensive filter just because Breville decided I need to.

I currently use brita filtered water in my machine. Would that be sufficient?

If not, I can buy deer park water gallons to fill with, but again would like to see if any experts here recommend that for the machine/taste.

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

It's impossible to recommend a filter without knowing what's in the water. If your water is soft enough, those simple inexpensive charcoal filters will be fine. Once the hardness and alkalinity get above 50 mg/L as CaCO3 (appx 3 grains per gallon) then you have water that may require you to descale, and therefore may benefit from a softening or decarbonizing filter if you are looking to descale the machine very infrequently or not at all.

If you use a good bottled water, you can use no filter at all in the machine. But be careful in choosing your bottled water - Deer Park spring water is an example of a water from a variety of sources, and their water report ( here ) indicates that any given bottle might be overly soft, or it might be moderately hard and scale-prone. I'd steer clear of it for that reason.

Crystal Geyser also comes from different sources, but you can look at the fine print on any bottle and check the source. Here's a post with a handy table showing all of CG's sources and numbers: Blonding too fast. Profitec 700.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h