Which water filter do you use/recommend?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
romaen

Postby romaen » Dec 31, 2018, 8:08 am

Hello!

I am using the Breville water filter right now, and I would like to know if you guys use the "default Breville filter" or some better / cheaper / different once? (and how often do you change them?)

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » Dec 31, 2018, 10:07 am

I have been using the cheaper filters offered on Amazon. Haven't experienced a problem in over two years.

I also clean the water tank twice a month and change out the filter every two months.

After all, water is your main ingredient when it comes to espresso.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..."

romaen

Postby romaen » Jan 01, 2019, 12:16 pm

Thanks for you reply!

hbn

Postby hbn » Jan 09, 2019, 10:10 am

someone recommended BWT water filters to me because they remove/prevent limescale. you can find them on amazon for $20 for a pitcher and 3 filters. very cheap. they also add magnesium to the water. win/win, I prefer them to brita for general use as well

trunks235

Postby trunks235 » Jan 09, 2019, 11:12 am

I had a few questions on this topic as well.

I recently got my BDB swapped out due to issues and now all the machines come with a new Claro Swiss filter that is WAYYYY more expensive than the old filters (20$ for 3 months vs 30$ for a year supply). I really don't want to buy such an expensive filter just because Breville decided I need to.

I currently use brita filtered water in my machine. Would that be sufficient?

If not, I can buy deer park water gallons to fill with, but again would like to see if any experts here recommend that for the machine/taste.

homeburrero
Team HB

Postby homeburrero » Jan 11, 2019, 1:11 am

It's impossible to recommend a filter without knowing what's in the water. If your water is soft enough, those simple inexpensive charcoal filters will be fine. Once the hardness and alkalinity get above 50 mg/L as CaCO3 (appx 3 grains per gallon) then you have water that may require you to descale, and therefore may benefit from a softening or decarbonizing filter if you are looking to descale the machine very infrequently or not at all.

If you use a good bottled water, you can use no filter at all in the machine. But be careful in choosing your bottled water - Deer Park spring water is an example of a water from a variety of sources, and their water report ( here ) indicates that any given bottle might be overly soft, or it might be moderately hard and scale-prone. I'd steer clear of it for that reason.

Crystal Geyser also comes from different sources, but you can look at the fine print on any bottle and check the source. Here's a post with a handy table showing all of CG's sources and numbers: Blonding too fast. Profitec 700.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h