Where to start with regards to water - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Coolguy8877 (original poster)

#11: Post by Coolguy8877 (original poster) »

Shojin wrote:Having tried several different water solutions for espresso over the years, the easiest option I've settled on is adding Third Wave Water Espresso minerals to one gallon bottles of distilled water. This just gives a reasonable balance of convenience, cost, and consistency.

Previously I've tried refilling five gallon containers and lugging them about, adding rpavlis recipe, or variations, and TWW to them, as well as using a Zero Water dispenser and treating that similarly. Neither method was very satisfactory: moving five gallon containers around regularly will give you some kind of back injury at some point. Believe me, I know this for a firsthand fact. You only have to lift it awkwardly one time...

Zero Water is not great: looking at the residue building up in the bottom of the dispenser over time (not much time mind; less than one filter's worth) didn't inspire me with confidence and then I don't think fully demineralised water is much good for anything other than remineralising for the machine.

Anyway, for 2-3 shots a day as well as backflushings and weekly cleanings, one gallon lasts me about two weeks or so. Not too inconvenient if the store is nearby.
Is there any particular reason you ended up preferring TWW vs rpavlis? I most likely will end up using one gallon jugs of distilled water and am leaning towards rpavlis due to the significant cost savings over time (buying potassium bicarb in bulk vs TWW sticks).

Shojin

#12: Post by Shojin »

I think it was a nagging doubt about the rpavlis formula being unique in that it forgoes anything other than bicarbonate. I've read ALL the threads with the reasons why, but I was never entirely sold. There's at least one user on here who vigorously refutes the rpavlis formula, and makes some good points.

In the end I just wanted something simple and reliable and decided to trust TWW as they more of a known quantity being a company that manufactures a product, and their formula seems to sit more inline with all the other recipes out there. That's about it. The water rabbit hole has been about the most taxing and irritating aspect of the whole espresso journey for me. Making the coffee is comparatively easy.

Coolguy8877 (original poster)

#13: Post by Coolguy8877 (original poster) replying to Shojin »

Understandable. Totally agree with the "water rabbit hole" comment. While I will start with rpavlis I'm sure I'll want to experiment with some different water recipes over time. Will watch for a TWW sale to give it a try (if they offer them).