What would be the magnesium & calcium hardness, and alkalinity of Crystal Geyser Norman AK

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

The Norman Arkansas sourced Crystal Geyser is what is sold in my area. Here is a report on it: https://www.crystalgeyserplease.com/wp- ... REPORT.pdf

It states Alkalinity 86 mg/L

Is that the same as the alkalinity people measure for water used brewing coffee, or something different?

It states Hardness, Calcium is 90 mg/L and Total Hardness is 95 mg/L

So I assume general hardness is 95 mg/L at 90 mg/L calcium and 5 mg/L magnesium.

Is that correct? If not, what would those values be?

So the profile, as I read it is:

Alkalinity 86 mg/L and general hardness 95 mg/L , so cutting it with distilled water 50/50, would half those numbers to Alkalinity 43 mg/L and Hardness 47.5 mg/L

Acavia (original poster)

#2: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

If my read of that report is right and it is 95 mg/L general hardness and 86 mg/L alkalinity, and almost all the general hardness is calcium, I could add an amount of Epsom salt that would add 55 mg/L hardness, then hardness would be 140 mg/L almost roughly 65/35 calcium to magnesium, and alkalinity stay at 86 mg/L. Then if I cut it 50/50 with distilled water, it would cut that profile in half to roughly 40 mg/L alkalinity and 70 mg/L hardness for an ideal target without as much work as adding 3 chemicals to distilled.

Are my read of that report and planning right?

homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

Acavia wrote:It states Alkalinity 86 mg/L

Is that the same as the alkalinity people measure for water used brewing coffee, or something different?
Yes. The terms, alkalinity, total alkalinity, and M-alkalinity all refer to the same thing in a water report, as well in water for coffee discussions. It is a measure of acid buffering capacity, and in this case is quantified in mg/L CaCO3 equivalents.

Acavia wrote:It states Hardness, Calcium is 90 mg/L and Total Hardness is 95 mg/L
So I assume general hardness is 95 mg/L at 90 mg/L calcium and 5 mg/L magnesium.
Is that correct?
Exactly right. These are also quantified in mg/L CaCO3 equivalents.

Acavia wrote:Alkalinity 86 mg/L and general hardness 95 mg/L , so cutting it with distilled water 50/50, would half those numbers to Alkalinity 43 mg/L and Hardness 47.5 mg/L
Correct.

Acavia wrote:If my read of that report is right and it is 95 mg/L general hardness and 86 mg/L alkalinity, and almost all the general hardness is calcium, I could add an amount of Epsom salt that would add 55 mg/L hardness, then hardness would be 140 mg/L almost roughly 65/35 calcium to magnesium, and alkalinity stay at 86 mg/L. Then if I cut it 50/50 with distilled water, it would cut that profile in half to roughly 40 mg/L alkalinity and 70 mg/L hardness for an ideal target without as much work as adding 3 chemicals to distilled.
Are my read of that report and planning right?
Roughly yes. (More precisely it would be calcium hardness 90 mg/L, magnesium hardness 60 mg/L, total hardness 150 mg/L, and the ratio of calcium/magnesium hardness 60/40. Then after cutting it 50:50 you would have calcium hardness 45 mg/L, total hardness 75 mg/L, alkalinity 43 mg/L, and of course same ratio of 60/40.)
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Acavia (original poster)

#4: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

homeburrero wrote:Yes. The terms, alkalinity, total alkalinity, and M-alkalinity all refer to the same thing in a water report, as well in water for coffee discussions. It is a measure of acid buffering capacity, and in this case is quantified in mg/L CaCO3 equivalents.

Exactly right. These are also quantified in mg/L CaCO3 equivalents.

Correct.

Roughly yes. (More precisely it would be calcium hardness 90 mg/L, magnesium hardness 60 mg/L, total hardness 150 mg/L, and the ratio of calcium/magnesium hardness 60/40. Then after cutting it 50:50 you would have calcium hardness 45 mg/L, total hardness 75 mg/L, alkalinity 43 mg/L, and of course same ratio of 60/40.)
Thanks