Water treatment for La Marzocco Linea Mini in London

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
OldNick

#1: Post by OldNick »

Hi

I'm considering a LM Linea Mini for my dutch barge moored in London, however looking at what London water does to my kettle I don't think it will be suitable, I was wondering if any London based Linea Mini users have any suggestions as to what water they use, I don't really want to plumb the machine in though or install a water softener system, would hopefully just like to use the water reservoir in the machine and use filtered water.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

OldNick wrote:I was wondering if any London based Linea Mini users have any suggestions as to what water they use, I don't really want to plumb the machine in though or install a water softener system, would hopefully just like to use the water reservoir in the machine and use filtered water.

I'm neither London based, nor a Linea Mini user, but I will weigh in to say that London water is pretty hopeless. Not only does it have way too much calcium hardness and high alkalinity that will give you problems with limescale buildup, it also has high enough chloride ion that most espresso machine vendors (including LM) would advise that you use reverse osmosis and a remineralizer. (You can get a water report for your particular neighborhood here.)

For a reservoir machine and avoiding a major filtration effort I think your best option will be bottled water, or water that you mineralize yourself from purified water (distilled, de-ionized, or RO). Normally one might use a ZeroWater jug filter as a source of purified water, but probably not there in London because the TDS is so high that the filters would be quickly exhausted, making that an expensive and wasteful (in terms of discarded used filters) option.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h