Water testing service?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
SteveH
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by SteveH »

I'd like to test my tap, post filter, and post machine waters. Any recommendation on how/where to do this easily and economically?

Best,
Steve

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Sorry that there are no replies yet. I've noticed a couple folks have used the $160 tap score test from SimpleLab but can't say I've seen enough to recommend it. You have accredited labs in your area (one example: https://torrentlab.com/environmental-te ... r-testing/ ) that you might contact for a quote.

Of course you can test yourself, and one advantage to that is that you can test every month or two over the year to get a handle on variability at the tap. If you have soft water and use the inexpensive popular API GH & KH kit you will get better precision if you use a 10 ml sample. If you want chloride numbers see The skinny on chloride testing? .

If you are using an RO system you might get pretty far just by testing 3 samples with a TDS meter. 1 - at the tap, 2 - after the RO but before the remin filter, 3 - after the remin and finishing filter. The difference between 1 and 2 will tell you how well the RO is working. The value at 2 may be sufficient to conclude that your water is sufficiently soft and low in undesirables like chloride. If you have a mostly calcite remin cartridge the TDS difference between 2 and 3 would be a reasonable approximation of the bump in hardness and alkalinity (as CaCO3) that you are getting from remin.

When using a TDS meter for these comparisons you want to be sure that the water sample is at the same temp, ideally 25C (77F). Also you want to sample after a few minutes of flushing through the system.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

OK31
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by OK31 »

I used this service through prima coffee https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/optipure/180-80180 it seemed to confirm most things that my local water report was advising.

I did the same pre and post filtering.
★ Helpful

drudolf17

#4: Post by drudolf17 »

I'm really happy with Tap Score (aka simple lab). I did a test on my home tap water (Boston) to decide what kind of filtration I needed, and was able to take a more targeted approach to filtration. You can see my results here:

gosimplelab.com/5LYU3Y

homeburrero
Team HB

#5: Post by homeburrero »

Another one that I think is worth mentioning would be Ward Labs. Mentioned in a recent post here: St. Louis Water Report and Plumbing Thoughts

Affordable and reportedly popular with the beer brewing crowd - a very water savvy group.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h