Water tastes worse with carbon filter. Why? - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
homeburrero
Team HB

#11: Post by homeburrero »

Capee7 wrote:When I was opening the new filter I noticed there were some rubber gaskets on each end that I took off. Didn't think much of it, just that it was to protect the filter during transport most likely. The water ended up tasting great with the new filter. So, I just thought the previous filter was no good. Today I was looking at the old one and it had those same rubber gaskets on each end that I hadn't noticed because they sat so flush with the filter.
I think those rubber gaskets are supposed to be kept with the filter. They seal it so that water wont flow from the sump* into the inside of the filter other than through the filter media. These gaskets are typically Buna-N, and shouldn't be causing a taste problem. If the new filter is tasting OK I'd say put the gaskets back in if you still have them and see if it still tastes OK.

*Your sump is the clear plastic portion that unscrews from the head. Water flows into that all around the outside of the filter, then flows thru the filter from outside to inside, then exits from there to the head's water outlet.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Capee7 (original poster)

#12: Post by Capee7 (original poster) »

homeburrero wrote:I think those rubber gaskets are supposed to be kept with the filter. They seal it so that water wont flow from the sump* into the inside of the filter other than through the filter media. These gaskets are typically Buna-N, and shouldn't be causing a taste problem. If the new filter is tasting OK I'd say put the gaskets back in if you still have them and see if it still tastes OK.
Lol!!! I clearly didn't think that through! Haha! That totally makes sense. Okay. I'll check it out and check back in.

Thank you for explaining all the terms and the uses of each thing. That helps a lot!

sima112

#13: Post by sima112 »

Still good way how to learn from mistakes. Important is that the new filter is tasteless.
Could you share the brand of both filters so we can avoid buying bad filters?
Thank you Dan

Capee7 (original poster)

#14: Post by Capee7 (original poster) replying to sima112 »

Definitely a good way to learn. I'm sure some people have had good experiences with AMI but for water reason the filter made the water taste "off"
The first brand was an AMI filter from wateranywhere.com. The second was a Spiropure filter from Allfilters.com.

Capee7 (original poster)

#15: Post by Capee7 (original poster) »

homeburrero wrote: If the new filter is tasting OK I'd say put the gaskets back in if you still have them and see if it still tastes OK.
Okay, so I placed the gaskets back on the ends of the new filter and it did affect the taste. However, I can't seem to describe it. My wife said it just tastes like there are minerals in it now. Not too specific but we can't seem to pin point the exact flavor.

I am still enjoying the taste but it is definitely different then when the gaskets weren't on it..... If that is even possible.

sima112

#16: Post by sima112 »

Interesting, I guess without the gaskets the water was running skipping the filter or at least part of it. When you put the gaskets back on all the water now passing trough filter. That is what affect your taste, but it shouldnt as much. As I understand, simple carbon filter should remove or reduce chlorine, bad taste and possibly some chemicals, without affecting mineral content of water. I dont know if its possible but it might be cleaning some taste which hides the mineral taste of water and by cleaning it off the mineral taste jump up.
Or what you taste is a flavour of the filter. Im curious if someone has more experience with this
Thanks for sharing Capee7

Capee7 (original poster)

#17: Post by Capee7 (original poster) »

That makes sense to me! At this point the water is great so I am content with this particular filter. :)