Water - softener vs bottled water - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
OldNuc

#11: Post by OldNuc »

I would suggest googling water distiller or drinking water distiller as there are several types available and the new price is usually high but the used craigslist price is quite low as there is not a large market for these things. I spent probably a month watching the local craigslist before I found the one I have. People tend to buy these machines to produce clean water for a new child and after a year or so switch to what everyone else in the house is drinking and the distiller goes to the garage or basement. They are all stainless steel so they last forever.

Sideshow

#12: Post by Sideshow »

As far a bottled water goes, I like using Gerber Pure. It is cheap, easy to find, in the total hardness (as CaCO3) range recommended for avoiding scale, and tastes good. Alkalinity is a bit on the low side, but if you're really obsessive you can remedy that with some baking soda. However, I find that it tastes good enough to use right out of the jug. If it's designed for babies, then I'm sure it'll work for me. :lol:

Here's a link to the 2014 water analysis results (http://stage.gerber.com/docs/default-so ... f?sfvrsn=2), which I find still hold up today. I measure the TDS as a safeguard when I open each gallon jug, and it's within the reported range every time. You can even cut it a bit with a splash of distilled water if you want to be really conservative.

Advertisement
SonVolt

#13: Post by SonVolt »

Sideshow wrote:As far a bottled water goes, I like using Gerber Pure. It is cheap, easy to find, in the total hardness (as CaCO3) range recommended for avoiding scale, and tastes good. Alkalinity is a bit on the low side, but if you're really obsessive you can remedy that with some baking power. However, I find that it tastes good enough to use right out of the bottle. If it's designed for babies, then I'm sure it'll work for me. :lol:

Here's a link to the 2014 water analysis results (http://stage.gerber.com/docs/default-so ... f?sfvrsn=2), which I find still hold up today. I measure the TDS as a safeguard when I open each gallon jug, and it's within the reported range every time. You can even cut it a bit with a splash of distilled water if you want to be really conservative.

Isn't a TDS of 10 with CaCO3 of 3 too soft for proper extraction?

Sideshow

#14: Post by Sideshow »

The total hardness (as CaCO3) range listed in the Gerber specs is 49-59 ppm. It's near the bottom of the Secondary Inorganics section. Look to the right most column for the reporting ranges.