Water, Scaling and Descaling with HX espresso machines? - Page 11

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Balthazar_B

#101: Post by Balthazar_B »

Great. And I'll be happy to test the kit/instructions when you have everything put together :) . I guess what I'm most concerned about is disconnecting the water line at its undersink junction and getting a leakproof connection to the pump.
- John

LMWDP # 577

cruzmisl

#102: Post by cruzmisl »

Great post that has made me want to descale my Rancilio S27. I have the citric acid and just want to clarify how to best approach the project.

My plan is to mix about a gallon (or more) of the citric acid solution in a bucket and unhook my water line and use a short piece of water line dropped into the bucket. My S27 will be able to pull the solution up.

Is there a preferred way to introduce the solution into the boiler and displace the fresh water? Or is it as simple as drawing hot water from the hot water spout and have the pump pull in the solution? I'm also thinking rather than overfill the boiler, I'll just push the probe all the way intt the boiler. This will fill the boiler more than normal and should get above the water line. Would it be better to overfill?

Thanks for setting me in the right direction.

Joe

erics
Supporter ★

#103: Post by erics »

Joe - some quickies cause its late -

I would contact the retailer of your machine and see if they have any tips/tricks re descaling specifically for the S27.

Put the bucket on the countertop or in the sink vice on the floor. Pretend as though it's "be kind to my pump" day. :)

Try to syphon out the bulk of the water in the boiler first. Disconnect the heating element and let the boiler fill normally. Pushing the probe further into the boiler (may not be possible) would LOWER the water level. Momentarily disconnect the probe lead and the boiler will overfill. Take it slow and easy here to avoid a big leak.

Let the solution sit in the boiler for an hour or so. Maybe momentarily apply some heat.

Get a good water treatment system prior to the machine - test your water's hardness.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

cruzmisl

#104: Post by cruzmisl »

Well, I Managed to descale yesterday and all went well. I grounded out the autofill sensor and flooded the boiler. I let it sit for 90 minutes or so and flushed it 4 times each time pumping water out of the steam wand. Got some junk out but overall not too bad. Strange thing the pressure stat, while it holds the pressure fine, doesn't click like it used to and makes a mild hissing noise. Kind of curious as to why. Machine runs great otherwise.

Joe

LaCrema

#105: Post by LaCrema »

Is this a bit too much scale for my Rancilio Silvia? :wink:

Before. Pic 1

Before. Pic 2

After.

Not 100% perfect cleaning, but MUCH better than before! I'll more than likely run something through the machine to descale it, I just bought this machine yesterday and I wanted to get it mostly cleaned up/out and running... the shots taste great, the machine runs great, no complaints about the Silvia. :D

Link to my recent post with my descaling experience.
Rancilio Silvia Descaling Pictures.
"Outside the box Barista."

Lyvyoo

#106: Post by Lyvyoo »

One question please - In order to eliminate all the citric acid solution from the boiler, how many liters of water I can run one time, whitouth stop the pump, when flush the boiler? I have a Bezzera BZ10 with a vibration pump and I am afraid to not damage the pump.

Jeff
Team HB

#107: Post by Jeff »

The vibratory pumps typically have a relatively low duty cycle. At least one data sheet for an EP5 at 110 V that I have seen suggests no more than one minute on followed by at least one minute off, for water at 20C, which is a lot cooler than that found inside most machines. I'd be more conservative than that, perhaps only 30-45 seconds on and at least two minutes off, especially if you are repeating that. The 220V/50Hz versions seem a little more forgiving, but I'd still be conservative.

Personally, I would use a siphon to flush most of the descaling solution.

Lyvyoo

#108: Post by Lyvyoo »

Scuse me for the dumb question, but what mean for you "siphon"? Can you post a image/link?

Thank you,

erics
Supporter ★

#109: Post by erics »

Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Lyvyoo

#110: Post by Lyvyoo »

Was Make it :)
But it must tu use only the head of a siphon, in order to eliminate all the citric solution, right?