Water, scaling and corrosion... - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
homeburrero
Team HB

#11: Post by homeburrero »

ohmer wrote:Cool. Let me know the results.
I finally got one of these Rocket pouches, which certainly is a Bilt OSCAR-90 in a Rocket branded box, and did some hardness measurements.

I used a Hach 5B with a double sized sample to get a little more precision and tested it on appx 9 gpg water.

I wrote it all up in an existing thread that is all about these reservoir softeners. See post here: Tell me about these reservoir water softeners

Takeaway is that it required over 50 hours of passive contact time to reduce 9 gpg down to a non-scaling 3 gpg.

It sure worked more slowly than I had thought! I used to recommend these based mostly on user experience and not seeing scale problems. But after this I'll be less enthusiastic about them except for cases of fairly soft water or with a low water throughput.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

ohmer

#12: Post by ohmer »

Thanks homeburrero for your test results. So I was not crazy when I tested my water :D. I guess I'll have to make my own water, something I would have preferred to avoid due to water transportation.

pcrussell50

#13: Post by pcrussell50 »

Just a little motivation for making sure you use safe water. With pics if you do and if you don't.

This is what to expect from good water

-Peter
LMWDP #553

ohmer

#14: Post by ohmer »

I consider buying a counter top distiller like this one so I don't have to buy water bottles: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07TYH ... G8DU&psc=1 or maybe ZeroWater pitcher, still not sure.

To make rpavlis recipe is it what I need to buy? https://www.amazon.ca/Home-Brew-Ohio-M6 ... B009WTZ12W

Thanks.

pcrussell50

#15: Post by pcrussell50 »

ohmer wrote: To make rpavlis recipe is it what I need to buy? https://www.amazon.ca/Home-Brew-Ohio-M6 ... B009WTZ12W

Thanks.
Yes. And you can also use sodium bicarbonate.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

ohmer

#16: Post by ohmer »

A little update. I'm making my rpavlis water from zerowater filtered water since a few weeks. I use much less water that I was thinking. I refill a 4L bottle after 5-6 days, so not a big deal. I have two bottles, so I always have one ready.

I tested the water just for fun and the results are about 40 mg/L for KH, 0 mg/L for GH and the zerowater TDS meter measure something like 50-55. I suppose everything is fine here?

Thanks.

homeburrero
Team HB

#17: Post by homeburrero »

ohmer wrote:I tested the water just for fun and the results are about 40 mg/L for KH, 0 mg/L for GH and the zerowater TDS meter measure something like 50-55. I suppose everything is fine here?
Looks good. If you're spot on with adding 100 mg/L of potassium bicarbonate, you expect a 'KH' (alkalinity) measure of 50 mg/L CaCO3 equivalent, a GH of 0 mg/L CaCO3 equivalent, and a conductivity at 25 ℃ of 116 µS/cm, which would read 58 ppm on an inexpensive NaCl calibrated conductivity/TDS meter or about 75 ppm on a 4-4-2 calibrated conductivity/TDS meter.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h