Water problem leads to scale - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
jgood

#11: Post by jgood »

I don't know if you can get Crystal Geyser where you are, but it comes from various sources, depending on where you are. The company has a website that has the analysis for each source. It seems to match my TDS meter, when I have compared. I use a mix of distilled and CG to reach my desired hardness. Of course it's only in 1 gallon bottles. I would get an inexpensive TDS meter as the test strips can be confusing, and it gives you another reference point. I think I got mine from Clive for $15.

homeburrero
Team HB

#12: Post by homeburrero »

Pressino wrote:The chromed mushroom looks like it shows some signs of corrosion along with a small amount of accumulated scale.
I agree, the blue-green color indicates copper corrosion. Not sure that any of it is limescale.

Pressino wrote:Ozarka water is apparently no longer sourced from the original springs in Arkansas, but from several sites in Texas. The latest water analysis report I could find was from 2021, and I note that the "Spring Water" version (there are three variants listed, including sparkling and distilled) lists a chloride range of 8.7 to 28. The higher end of that range would be a matter of concern.
+1

It's hard to find a proper report because the Water Quality Report links on the current Ozarka web site are wrong - they take you to a Poland Springs analysis rather than Ozarka. Poland springs and Ozarka are both owned by Blue Triton, which is the new name for Nestlé Waters North America. The latest Ozarka analysis I could find was the one Pressino discussed. which at the moment can be found here: https://www.bluetriton.com/s/Ozarka-WQR ... pdated.pdf

This Ozarka Spring water as described in the report above would not produce any scale. It has a slightly acidic pH (6-7), a very low calcium hardness ( 8 - 16 mg/L as CaCO3) and a very low alkalinity (4.9 - 12 mg/L as CaCO3). These numbers indicate a water that would tend to dissolve rather than deposit limescale. The chloride ion level (8.7 - 28 mg/L) is a corrosion concern here that is exacerbated by the low pH and low alkalinity. It's fortunate that you had assumed that this water was RO and were adding the potassium bicarbonate. Doing that would fix the pH and low alkalinity issues. You seem to have a only a little corrosion - - nothing to be alarmed about. Clean it with a green scrubby pad and don't bother with descaling.

Down the road go with purified and the rpavlis approach. Refilling jugs with de-ionized at your Whole Foods or other kiosk would be an affordable and low waste source (that's what I do.) If in doubt you can verify that the dispenser's DI water is pure using an inexpensive TDS conductivity meter.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

blutch (original poster)

#13: Post by blutch (original poster) »

Thank you. This is very valuable information to me. A few questions.. how do you tell the difference between corrosion and lime scale? Do my boilers have this corrosion too? Can I trust the RO water in my Walmart Neighborhood Market as much as you would at WF? WF is 25 mins away. WNM is 4 mins away. I have a TDS meter. If I continue with the RO water, what reading am I looking for on the TDS meter? 50 and below?

Thank you again!

homeburrero
Team HB

#14: Post by homeburrero »

blutch wrote:how do you tell the difference between corrosion and lime scale?
Hard to tell if it's a mix. Limescale without copper or brass corrosion would not be greenish or blueish, and if you scrape some off and pulverize it, then pour some warm vinegar over it will dissolve and release CO2 bubbles.

blutch wrote:Can I trust the RO water in my Walmart Neighborhood Market as much as you would at WF?
I don't know much about the Primo dispensers that I think Walmart uses. I don't think they offer De-ionized. Their RO should be fine as long as it's not with "minerals added for taste". It should read below 30 ppm on a TDS meter at room temp. My Whole Foods dispenser offers RO, De-ionized, and Alkaline. Alkaline costs more and you don't want that. De-ionized is best here - same price as RO, and is further purified by mixed bed ion exchange resins and comes out comparable to distilled -- less than a few ppm.
Pat

blutch (original poster)

#15: Post by blutch (original poster) »

Would I need the Rpavlis with DI water from WF?

homeburrero
Team HB

#16: Post by homeburrero replying to blutch »

Yes. It's much like distilled. The base water for rpavlis can be distilled, de-Ionized, Zerowater, RO, or any very pure water.
Pat