Water advice before plumbing - collecting data... - Page 4

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
homeburrero
Team HB

#31: Post by homeburrero »

katkat wrote:Based on this, bypass 3 might do the trick: KH will be at ~50 (48%) and Cl at 23 (13%). Per Aqua Cl usually hover around 100, so it should be better most of the year.
Filter capacity at bypass 3 given my TDS would be 530 gallons, which should be enough for the machine 0.5 gallon/day. I might even add a drinking water tap (to be also used for convenient flushing.) Filter would be replaced annually, per specs.
That all seems reasonable to me.
katkat wrote:Not sure what the impact of the low output PH at bypass 2-3 is? It's lower than La Marzocco's recommendation.
That low pH is a little surprising given that the KH measurement is not alarmingly low. If you have good alkalinity I think you can get away with lower than recommended pH.
katkat wrote:PS - I sent another escalation email today to Pentair but I am close to giving up.
That is disappointing. At one time we had water experts from Pentair contributing here on HB, but that's over 10 years ago now.
katkat wrote:Also - I ignored the comment about the TDS calibration factor for now, hoping that it will somehow magically go away so that I will not need to take another thing into consideration :D :D :D
I agree, nothing to quibble about here.

FWIW, These meters measure conductivity and convert that to TDS using a factor. The inexpensive ones that most everyone uses (including the ZeroWater TDS meter) use a factor that multiplies the measured conductivity (in micromho / cm) by 0.5 to display a TDS ppm. That's a good factor for sodium chloride. Fancier meters let you use other factors that may or may not be better for natural freshwater, with the most popular alternative using a trademarked 4-4-2 calibration solution that gives you a factor of about 0.65. Not a big deal because neither one is necessarily right for any particular water. The old SCAA standard that recommended 150 PPM used a 4-4-2 calibrated meter. If you were to use an NaCl calibrated meter on that 'ideal' water it would read 115 ppm rather than 150 ppm.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

katkat (original poster)

#32: Post by katkat (original poster) »

homeburrero wrote:That low pH is a little surprising given that the KH measurement is not alarmingly low. If you have good alkalinity I think you can get away with lower than recommended pH.
So if the low PH is not a concern, then I feel I have a good chance with this filter. I will give it a shot and report! Expecting the new machine in the next few weeks... Thanks again!

PS - I ended up calling Pentair tech support only to get useless info. The tech said 10% of the TDS/Cl in bypass 1, 20% in bypass 2, 30%/3, etc - which is not in line with the measurements by Chris.