Want to do this right this time with my espresso machine's water

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Jackliquer

#1: Post by Jackliquer »

Folks,

I began with the Silvia over 15 years ago. Over the years, I moved on to LaPavoni, Gaggia and a QuickMill Carola (my favourite). At NO time did I ever think of filters or water softeners. I have never done any water testing at home. Nor have I ever gone beyond backflushing my machines and general cleaning. I sold them off before I ever had to do any serious maintenance. Now, after swearing off espresso machines for almost 2 years, I bought a Silvia V6. This time, I want to take maintenance seriously from Day 1 and have ordered the Rancilio water filter and even the Rocket water filter "pouch" and I think I know what I need to do based on some videos I saw. However, my immediate question, as a science illiterate, is -- what can I do to enjoy my new machine for the next few days before the filters arrive? Is any store-bought water okay in the interim? Or, should I get a Brita pitcher?

Thanks!

bobkat
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by bobkat »

Have you researched R Pavlis water in this forum? It might be just what you are looking for. Good luck with the new machine!!!

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

While it might not be ideal, you could use distilled water for a short time.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

bobkat
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by bobkat replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

Remember..... NOT 100 per cent distilled water.

homeburrero
Team HB

#5: Post by homeburrero »

Jackliquer wrote:However, my immediate question, as a science illiterate, is -- what can I do to enjoy my new machine for the next few days before the filters arrive? Is any store-bought water okay in the interim? Or, should I get a Brita pitcher?
You absolutely should get some sort of carbon or charcoal filter even for after you get your in-tank filters. Those two in-tank filters are conventional ion exchange filters that soften the water but do nothing to reduce chlorine or chloramine, and you need to do that. You could use a Brita or similar pitcher filter for that, or you might even use water from your refrigerator if it has a filter.

The original US and Canada Brita pitcher filters are charcoal filters with some decarbonizing resin that will tend to soften the water (and also reduce alkalinity and lower the pH), especially when new, but can't be relied on for that. If you want to play it safe in the interim you could use a 50:50 mix of purified water (distilled, de-ionized, or RO) with charcoal filtered tap water.

Long term if you stay with a Brita pitcher I would recommend the newer 'longlast' filters in your pitcher. These are more expensive, but last longer so that in most cases you can replace them on simple fixed 6 months intervals. And since they contain no decarbonizing resin -- they would do the job you need of removing chlorine but not reduce alkalinity nor acidify your water.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h