Using RO system for plumbing in - Pull water BEFORE RO...

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
ThatF_inGuyInNY

#1: Post by ThatF_inGuyInNY »

I've been contemplating the best way to plumb in my incoming Micra. I currently have an RO system plumbed to a separate faucet near my sink. Im aware that using RO water is a no-go due to the lack of mineral content. But I got thinking and I could pipe it so that the water coming off the first 3 stages (Paper/charcoal filters) is routed to a separate buffer tank and up to the machine and also to the RO stage for drinking. I have not pulled TDS numbers, but Im not seeing a good reason why this would not work. Any thoughts?

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

I think your plan might work, but first you need to assure that the water where you live does not need anything beyond particles and charcoal filtration. You can't decide based on a TDS reading. Even the test strips you get from La Marzocco are probably inadequate. Your best bet is to get a complete water report from your water authority and pay special attention to the hardness, alkalinity, and chloride numbers. If your water is low in chloride ion (below 30 ppm) and is not too scale prone based on hardness and alkalinity, then particulates and carbon filters would be all you need. Otherwise you would be advised to add a remin stage to your RO system.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

ThatF_inGuyInNY (original poster)

#3: Post by ThatF_inGuyInNY (original poster) replying to homeburrero »

town water quality report states 45ppm chloride and 7.7pH. Nothing about hardness. Is hardness not simply the TDS reading?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas replying to ThatF_inGuyInNY »

Hardness refers to the amount of calcium and magnesium salts, and usually to a lesser degree, chlorides, and sulphates. TDS, refers to the total of all mineral elements.

randytsuch

#5: Post by randytsuch »

In my water report it has "Hardness, Total (as CaCO3)". In mg/L

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

ThatF_inGuyInNY wrote:town water quality report states 45ppm chloride and 7.7pH.
Your chloride level is high enough that you probably want to use RO, making the hardness number moot. Note that the Micra manuals advise that the water be below 30 mg/L chloride. For plumbed in, RO + a remineralizing stage is the practical way to do that. Your existing RO system may support adding a remin stage.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h