Too Many Water Filter Options - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Drew

#11: Post by Drew »

Hi @homeburrero, do you know if 3M - ESP124-T filer system is conventional sodium ion exchange resin, or hydrogen ion exchange resin? Thanks!

homeburrero
Team HB

#12: Post by homeburrero »

The ESP 124-T uses a conventional sodium ion exchange softener with a capacity of 1100 grains. It also has a particulates and charcoal filter.

https://www.aquapurefilters.com/cdn/sho ... 7662378840
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Drew

#13: Post by Drew »

@homeburrero, thanks. What's your opinion on it? Would you recommend it?

homeburrero
Team HB

#14: Post by homeburrero »

Drew wrote:@homeburrero, thanks. What's your opinion on it? Would you recommend it?
I've not used it, but it's from a reputable company and I've seen many HBers who use it with no complaints. Whether or not it's the right choice depends on your water, and in some cases perhaps a little on whether you are corrosion risk averse. If you are on city of Chicago water**, and you don't want to periodically descale your machine, I think it, and other conventional (sodium exchange) softeners would be a good choice.

** TL;DR
City of Chicago water report is here: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/cit ... _Q1-Q3.pdf

and the key numbers are:
Alkalinity: 99-107 mg/L as CaCO3
Total hardness: 130 - 138 mg/L as CaCO3
Calcium hardness: 82 - 88 mg/L as CaCO3
Chloride ion: 14 - 16 mg/L
Conductivity: 310 - 320 uS/cm (would read ~ 157 ppm on a typical NaCl calibrated TDS meter)

I know some would advocate just using a particulates + carbon filter and descaling periodically, and others would advise using one of the popular decarbonizing filters like the everpure claris or bwt bestmax, with bypass adjusted so that you have reduced alkalinity and hardness so as to be scale free. I prefer the simplicity of conventional softening here and like the fact that it keeps your alkalinity and pH high, which makes that chloride ion less of a corrosion concern.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Drew

#15: Post by Drew »

Thank you very much Pat. We are on city water. I guess I'll have to find all connections and pressure regulator for it.