Tokyo Tap Water - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Marmot

#11: Post by Marmot »

I just read a bit about using tap water for coffee on some japanese pages. It seems that most tap water in Japa,n including the one in Tokyo is very soft. They do mention the problem with chlorine which worsens when the water is heated. But like other members mentioned a charcoal filter will solve this problem. There are adapters availble which you install right on the tap and according to the pages I read they work well. I guess there will also be solutions for direct plumbing.
I would look for solutions in Japan since they are adapted to the local needs and often far ahead of what we get in the west ;)

Marmot

#12: Post by Marmot »

For instance they solved the problem with even water distribution in coffee makers over 40 years ago :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pbaQCetWI

Advertisement
Mike-R (original poster)

#13: Post by Mike-R (original poster) »

Sounds reasonable to me for limescale risk. To be confident about long term corrosion risk it would still be good to know how much chloride ion is in that Tokyo water.
Thanks, I will keep trying to look into it.

Mike-R (original poster)

#14: Post by Mike-R (original poster) »

Marmot wrote:I just read a bit about using tap water for coffee on some japanese pages. It seems that most tap water in Japa,n including the one in Tokyo is very soft. They do mention the problem with chlorine which worsens when the water is heated. But like other members mentioned a charcoal filter will solve this problem. There are adapters availble which you install right on the tap and according to the pages I read they work well. I guess there will also be solutions for direct plumbing.
I would look for solutions in Japan since they are adapted to the local needs and often far ahead of what we get in the west ;)
Thanks!

Mike-R (original poster)

#15: Post by Mike-R (original poster) »

Marmot wrote:For instance they solved the problem with even water distribution in coffee makers over 40 years ago :mrgreen:
video
That was American technology from the 1950s! :lol:

Marmot

#16: Post by Marmot »

Haha, you're right! I should have remembered that design as well. Looks like they waited for the patent to run out :mrgreen: