Time to solution for baking soda/epsom salt solution

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
pcassidy19

#1: Post by pcassidy19 »

Hi there,

I've been using Barista Hustle's water recipe in which you make 2 solutions: 1 bumps up the alkalinity (baking soda) and the other adds minerals for hardness (epsom salt). After putting in the allotted amount of each to make the two separate solutions, I shake thoroughly and then right after add the designated amount of solution to the apportioned distilled water to make the brew water.

I'm new to making my own water and don't have a hardness/alkalinity testing kit, so I can't test the effectiveness of just shaking for a minute or so to making the solutions. Has anyone else tried this method and can advise on proper protocol to dissolving the baking soda and epsom salts to make the solution?

Thanks,

Paul

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Those BH concentrates (10 millimolar MgSO4, and 20 millimolar NaHCO3) are a tiny fraction of a saturated solution and should easily dissolve fully. If the Epsom salt is really coarse it may take a minute or two of shaking to fully dissolve in the concentrate bottle. Use clear bottles and make sure the solution is clear with no visible sediment and you should be good. If you also give the concentrate bottle a shake before pouring the measured amount into the final mix that will help assure you're getting what you want into the final mix.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Advertisement
pcassidy19 (original poster)

#3: Post by pcassidy19 (original poster) replying to homeburrero »

Just the kind of answer I needed. Thanks!