Thoughts on Poland Spring?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
pankrakes

#1: Post by pankrakes »

I've seen many people in the north east use plane spring water, and that's what I'm currently using. The last time someone discussed it was a few years ago and the analysis changed slightly. I can see the TDS and hardness fall into the range LM recommends, but am I risking my machine by not making my own water?
Total hardness 15-28ppm
TDS 32-76

https://www.nestle-watersna.com/sites/g ... ps_eng.pdf

MNate

#2: Post by MNate »

I don't know but I just am started making my own water after the advice and good guidance of some here and actually find it quite easy. Reassuring to know what all is in it too (if the distilled water you start with is indeed quite pure).

Advertisement
homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

pankrakes wrote:I can see the TDS and hardness fall into the range LM recommends, but am I risking my machine by not making my own water?
Total hardness 15-28ppm
TDS 32-76
The hardness and the alkalinity are below what LM typically recommends (not that I agree with their recommendation for hardness.)

I doubt it would damage your machine, but the low alkalinity and the possibility of up to 17 mg/L chloride make it less than ideal for corrosion risk. It would not cause scale problems. Note that this water may be sourced from many different springs, but all are similar in having low hardness and less than ideal alkalinity. Key numbers here are:
total hardness: 15 - 28 mg/L CaCO3 equivalent
calcium hardness: 11 - 22 mg/L CaCO3 equivalent (calculated from Ca ion)
alkalinity: 6.8 - 22 mg/L CaCO3 equivalent
chloride: 0 - 17 mg/L ( Cl⁻ ion )
Conductivity is 43 - 100 µmho/cm, which should read 21 - 50 ppm on an inexpensive NaCl calibrated 'TDS meter' at 25℃
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h