Third wave water = thin watery extractions.

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
jeffmattel

#1: Post by jeffmattel »

I recently got a few boxes of third wave water. I dilute them each in a 1 gallon of distilled water. Shake for a minute then wait until the cloudiness disappears. The shots are coming out really thin and taste very underextracted. They are very unpleasant and undrinkable. I switched back to Crystal Geyser and the shots are back to normal. I am using the same coffees and the same recipes. I don't understand. I thought this was supposed to be great and now I feel like I threw away my money .

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

One recommendation: Add the TWW the night or day before you plan on using it. That'll give it time to fully dissolve. If you still don't like it, stick it in your travel kit and don't buy it again.

Ferrariandcoffee

#3: Post by Ferrariandcoffee »

Are you using espresso profile version?

jeffmattel (original poster)

#4: Post by jeffmattel (original poster) »

yep

boldstep

#5: Post by boldstep »

I find GC water much better overall in taste and also since it's liquid you don't have to worry so much about waiting for it to dissolve

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

boldstep wrote:I find GC water much better ...
I assume this refers to Crystal Geyser, and it's always worth pointing out that CG comes from six very different sources. When selecting/recommending you need to check/specify the bottling source. EricS once posted a very handy summary table here.

P.S. I took the liberty of moving this topic over to the Water forum where it may get better attention. It still can be seen in Tips and Techniques where originally posted via a shadow link.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

CwD

#7: Post by CwD »

GC water is Global Customized water. It's something similar to the BaristaHustle concentrates, but sold premixed in two eyedropper bottles.

boldstep

#8: Post by boldstep »

Exactly

homeburrero
Team HB

#9: Post by homeburrero »

CwD wrote:GC water is Global Customized water.
Thanks Mitch and Jason. - gcwater - I somehow didn't think of that. I see it's now branded as "Perfect Cup" which ends up like the old Cirqua AB formula. ( Now available here, for one example.)
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Eastsideloco

#10: Post by Eastsideloco »

boldstep wrote:I find GC water much better overall in taste and also since it's liquid you don't have to worry so much about waiting for it to dissolve
Global Customized's new 20-serving packaging looks to have a better price profile than the original solution. The older single-use AB package used to cost about 3x the price of buying TWW in bulk.

I don't notice much difference in the cup between TWW's Classic (non-espresso) profile and the AB formula. But the latter is definitely preferable when you need re-mineralized water immediately. While I keep both in my travel kit, I generally use TWW at home.