Third Wave Water - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
sweaner

#11: Post by sweaner »

I was going to order the samples, but $5 shipping for a $10 order was a bit too much.
Scott
LMWDP #248

chipman

#12: Post by chipman »

When I order, I plan to buy multiple packs at the same $5.00 shipping charge.

keno

#13: Post by keno »

According to my quick calculations when a vial of powder is mixed with a gallon of distilled water Third Wave Water yields:
  • 29 mg/l of magnesium
  • 119 mg/l of sulfate
  • 142 mg/l of water (a component of Epsom salt)
  • 19 mg/l of calcium
  • 60 mg/l of citrate
  • 11 mg/l of sodium
  • 16 mg/l of chloride
Mostly it looks fine for brewing, but I think I'd have reservations using this in an espresso machine. Not so much for scale based on the hardness, but because of the high amounts of sulfate and the inclusion of chloride. Both compounds can corrode metals. Chloride is particularly tough on stainless steel and some espresso machine manufacturers caution against it (La Marzocco) and others (Synesso) even say to avoid it completely.

aecletec

#14: Post by aecletec »

bigdaub wrote:For those who are wondering what's in it... Each capsule is a total 1.5 grams. 1.1 grams of magnesium sulfate, .3 grams calcium citrate and .1 grams of sodium chloride.
Thanks for sharing!!

joalepins
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by joalepins »

bigdaub wrote:For those who are wondering what's in it... Each capsule is a total 1.5 grams. 1.1 grams of magnesium sulfate, .3 grams calcium citrate and .1 grams of sodium chloride.

Cheers
FYI I am Taylor of Third Wave Water
Hi Taylor,

Before ordering, is it safe to use it in espresso machines ?

Thanks

Jo

redbone

#16: Post by redbone »

You mean I can stop using this. Thanks for sharing. To expensive to ship here but I like the concept.

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

bigdaub

#17: Post by bigdaub »

joalepins wrote:Hi Taylor,

Before ordering, is it safe to use it in espresso machines ?

Thanks

Jo
keno wrote:Mostly it looks fine for brewing, but I think I'd have reservations using this in an espresso machine. Not so much for scale based on the hardness, but because of the high amounts of sulfate and the inclusion of chloride. Both compounds can corrode metals. Chloride is particularly tough on stainless steel and some espresso machine manufacturers caution against it (La Marzocco) and others (Synesso) even say to avoid it completely.
I'll give you a little background on myself. I have owned a roaster for 8 years where we are a distributer for Nuova Simonelli. I am a memeber of the Roasters Guild, Barista Guild and newly founded Coffee Technicians Guild. I have rebuilt plenty of espresso machines and batch brewers. Here is a Nuova Semi-Volumetric I rebuilt http://imgur.com/a/nPZqv. While developing TWW, machine maintenance was always a concern. I know there are others "GCWater" who use calcium chloride and none of the espresso machine manufactures like it.

All that to say, I am currently working with both Slayer and La Marzocco (Modbar) to verify they are okay with it being used on their equipment. Their techs got bulk samples last month to play around with. I never like to say "Trust Me" if I don't have to but I feel qualified to say that TWW is safe for espresso machines. I will hopefully have something more official from those companies in the near future. If you are still uncomfortable with using it then I recommend holding off until their blessing.

Thanks again for the questions, I hope I wasn't too forward.
Taylor

lagoon

#18: Post by lagoon »

I'm starting to wonder when someone will offer Third Wave Electricty and Third Wave Air... :D

aecletec

#19: Post by aecletec »

lagoon wrote:I'm starting to wonder when someone will offer Third Wave Electricty
A roaster I know had to get their warehouse rewired to the mains at their own cost as their connection didn't deliver what one would expect...maybe there's something to this :P

bigdaub

#20: Post by bigdaub »

Third Phase Electricity :lol: