The skinny on chloride testing?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
pcrussell50

#1: Post by pcrussell50 »

Up to this point, I've been handling hardness and other "objectionables" with a salt softener with a carbon block. This one: https://www.restaurantsupply.com/3m-esp ... n-capacity Note: I did not buy from here. It's just the first one that came up in a search. This is used for my plumbed machine with stainless boilers and no copper or brass. The tubing is PTFE. I use the Hach HA71A for total hardness testing to help determine when to change softeners.

But I've just had my head in the sand about chloride. Options for testing for it are kind of vague. AFAICT, There is the Hanna kit for $39 plus shipping, https://www.hannainst.com/hi3815-chloride-test-kit.html, or the Hach kit for $70 or ask Culligan for a free home test. Cheap test strips that have coarse ranges that do not report chloride in an exact PPM. Is that about the size of it? Am I missing something? What do you guys do, if anything?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

I think the Hach 8P is a good kit for the HB crowd. It runs just over 60 bucks and will do about 100 tests. My silver nitrate reagent had an expiration date about a year and a half after my purchase date. If you do the low range test, each drop of titrant corresponds to 5 mg/L chloride as ion, so it should be sensitive enough to catch the most conservative chloride recommendations (Synesso recommends chloride be below 15 mg/L). And it's easy to use with a clear endpoint in my case. Below is a recent sample at 11 drops and at 12 drops:

(You add the indicator first, so It starts at that shade of yellow then goes orange when you hit the endpoint.)

Just to be sure, I gave mine a sanity check using my KCl-70 calibration solution that I use for TDS meters, which has ~19 mg/L chloride ion, and it turned orange on the 4th drop.

If you test your own, you do want to test often over a year or so. Many water sources have widely fluctuating chloride numbers as the utility shifts between water sources and may be affected by other factors (like winter road salt contamination).
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Ciaran

#3: Post by Ciaran »

You may also find good information from your local water department. For instance, here is a link to the Santa Barbara CCR/water quality report -
https://www.santabarbaraca.gov/civicax/ ... =220290%20

According to the CCR, your water may have a chloride concentration of anywhere from 33 to 230ppm, depending on the source and time of year.

Hach Quantab Chloride test strips can also be used. They are reliable but have less resolution than drop count titration. They are useful for people with color blindness.

Hanna also makes a chloride checker (handheld photometer) that costs about $50, plus reagents. It only reads up to 20mg/l, but you can use dilution for higher concentrations up to 200mg/l