San Francisco water options / Larq pitcher - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Paris92 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Paris92 (original poster) »

homeburrero wrote:I would not recommend the BWT Bestsave for SFPUC water mostly because the alkalinity is already on the low side and the WAC resins in that filter will tend to reduce that even lower. If you wanted some double insurance against limescale you could use a conventional softener pouch like the Bilt/Oscar/Rocket pouch filter. It's just a conventional softening resin that would reduce hardness minerals, and would not reduce the pH nor the alkalinity. It would do no harm, and reduce limescale risk if your utility does periodically switch over from Hetch Hetchy to harder water sources. Of course you'd still want to charcoal or carbon filter the water to remove chlorine and chloramine before adding it to the reservoir. A refrigerator filter will do that, as would your Larq pitcher filter.

That would work also. You can't specifically order or purchase CG from Mt. Shasta (aka Weed CA) - - you have to check the fine print on the bottle to verify that it's from that source.
Very helpful, and appreciated. So it looks like, my LARQ pitcher water and the BILT/Oscar/Rocket pouch filter in the reservoir would do the trick.

Will the proprietary ion exchange resins in the LARQ (mentioned above that I "don't need") cause any detrimental issues with the machine over time?

homeburrero
Team HB

#12: Post by homeburrero »

Paris92 wrote:Will the proprietary ion exchange resins in the LARQ (mentioned above that I "don't need") cause any detrimental issues with the machine over time?
They say very little, other than that it's 'plant based'. Their FAQ does make this claim: " ... the LARQ Filter does not change the pH of the water." which is a good indication that it does NOT have the problematic decarbonizing (WAC) resin that you find in many pitcher filters. Given that, I think you'll be fine sticking with the Larq. They do have an online performance data sheet, but it has nothing useful about calcium, magnesium, or bicarbonate.

For the pouch softener, it will be most effective in removing hardness ions if you make a habit of filling the reservoir at the end of the day. That gives you longer contact time with the freshly added water. It will replace calcium and magnesium ions with an equivalent amount of sodium ions.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Paris92 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Paris92 (original poster) »

homeburrero wrote:For the pouch softener, it will be most effective in removing hardness ions if you make a habit of filling the reservoir at the end of the day. That gives you longer contact time with the freshly added water. It will replace calcium and magnesium ions with an equivalent amount of sodium ions.
This was going to be my plan. Fill at night. So that should work. Thanks again. Extremely helpful.