RPavlis water formula and ZeroWater - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
omarbaha

#11: Post by omarbaha »

Hi all, my first post! :D

I have a Homemaster RO setup that adds magnesium & calcium after purification stage and produce an alkalinity of about 7.5 - 8 (see excerpt from their website below). With the TDS meter I get a reading of about 50 - 70 ppm. Is my machine safe from corrosion with this system or should I add any additives to it? Many thanks in advance

The Purity you Need, with the pH and Minerals you Wanttm

The Home Master Artesian -- Full Contact Reverse Osmosis System produces Alkaline Mineral Water on Tap by first stripping the water clean, removing 98% of contaminants using the reverse osmosis (RO) process, then channeling the water through the advanced remineralization filter twice using our patented Full Contact Technology to rejuvenate and restore 30-60 mg/L calcium and magnesium minerals. Its an entirely natural process - just like rainwater passing through the earth. This Full Contact technology creates the best drinking water, coffee and tea you will ever have. Guaranteed or your money back.

from https://www.theperfectwater.com/Home-Ma ... ystem.html

Advertisement
pcrussell50

#12: Post by pcrussell50 »

No_cureEspresso wrote: What do the experts say? This is one situation where I wished for direct connection...but alas, I don't have a spare 2 grand lying around for this setup https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/opti ... 2-optip-pp
$2000?!?! Madness.

How does $88 strike you?
https://www.gofoodservice.com/p/3m-esp124-t Disclaimer, this was just from a google search. I bought mine new from an Ebay dealer.

This is a critical part of one of my machines, the one that is plumbed, after two years using this softener:

I use this 3M Cuno ESPT124-T for my plumbed machine.

Softeners of this type do not remove chlorides, and chlorides can cause corrosion. so if you have more than about 25ppm of chlorides, I would consider looking at RO. For my non-plumbed machines I use Pavlis water, which is either sodium bicarbonate or potassium bicarbonate added to distilled water. Distilled water will not have any chlorides either.

Does Zero water remove chlorides? I can't imagine how it would, unless it's RO.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

MikeTheBlueCow

#13: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

pcrussell50 wrote: ...

Does Zero water remove chlorides? I can't imagine how it would, unless it's RO.

-Peter
The website claims that it does: https://zerowater.com/results

pcrussell50

#14: Post by pcrussell50 replying to MikeTheBlueCow »

The chart doesn't say anything about chlorides. Just chlorine. Unless I missed it. Is it mentioned in the text? I didn't read the full body of printed text. Thanks.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

homeburrero
Team HB

#15: Post by homeburrero »

That chart doesn't say, but yes it does remove chloride ion. It has ion exchange resins for both cations and for anions. The result is deionized water. Also has charcoal for adsorbing chlorine.

The included TDS meter measures conductivity, and you can assume that a less than a few ppm tds meter reading is a reasonable guarantee of less than a few ppm of conductive ions, including chloride.

I have used zerowater as an alternative to buying purified distilled or deionized at the grocery. It was convenient if not as economical as buying deionized in the store. If your water is high TDS it may prohibitively expensive.

Like distilled or deionized you don't want to use it straight. The resins also strip out the bicarbonate alkalinity.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

No_cureEspresso (original poster)

#16: Post by No_cureEspresso (original poster) »

Thank you all for the input!

So to summarize for prosperity and general knowledge for others: when leveraging Dr. Pavlis water formula, one can use ZeroWater in lieu of Distilled Water

pcrussell50

#17: Post by pcrussell50 replying to No_cureEspresso »

I can personally vouch for Pavlis water. And if Pat says Zero water is a suitable substitute for distilled, that would be good enough for me. (I seem to still be able to get distilled water these days... Not every store every time, but if it's out one day it's in the next, it seems.)

-Peter
LMWDP #553