Rooftop rainwater to concrete tank and espresso? - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Maak (original poster)

#11: Post by Maak (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice. Id like to plumb my machine in so im looking for something to release the salts autoatically into the water. BTW the ph is 6.0

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Pressino »

For that something like an in-line BWT Bestmax filter should work.

Advertisement
homeburrero
Team HB

#13: Post by homeburrero replying to Pressino »

Not a Bestmax, but perhaps a Bestmin. :wink:

Online searching for calcite filters will find lots of options, including some that drop in to a generic 10" filter housing. Do you also need to handle off-tastes and odors? particulates? Then you may want a filter that also has activated charcoal and particulates filtration. If you want solid assurance that your pH will end up above 7.0, then you might consider filters that have a combination of calcite + Corosex. (Corosex is a brand of magnesium oxide beads that are much more effective than calcite at pH correction.) Calcite/Corosex is often advised where the water has a pH below 6.0, but the downside is that it's more prone to overcorrecting the water that first comes out of a filter after an idle period.

The Bestmin is a combination filter that has GAC and a particulates filter plus a proprietary remineralizing media that evidently contains some magnesium oxide. Some discussion of it can be found here: BWT Bestmin for remineralization
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Maak (original poster)

#14: Post by Maak (original poster) »

That's exactly what LM NZ recommend (bestmin) will get it next time I go to the city

Lynda of Waiheke

#15: Post by Lynda of Waiheke »

That was very helpful, thanks Maak. I'm on Waiheke and our concrete tank is also 30 years old. The machine is asking to be descaled and it's only newish. I reckon I can safely leave it and maybe descale only now and then. Thanks again for posting. cheers Lynda