RO water creates oxidation??? per a seller. - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

Yeah, I suggested a TDS meter because:
- they're inexpensive;
- if the person has a home RO system, then it's a quick and easy check;
- if it's an in-store RO system in say, a supermarket, then those are infamous for not being maintained properly.

I have no idea about Target; they shut down in Canada a few years ago.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Nate42

#12: Post by Nate42 »

The original statement is both wrong and right. RO or otherwise "too pure" water can be corrosive, because it is mildly acidic. It's not really right to say it's the same effect as limescale though, it's a different problem.

Regardless, adding a dash of baking soda is sufficient to solve the problem.

You might look into other water formulations if you are not happy with the taste, but otherwise don't worry.

kris772 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by kris772 (original poster) »

per the meter, Target RO water measures 1.
my treated water measures 15
tap water measures about 390 so it's no wonder it caused me problems.

So my conclusion is that my approach to water treatment is fine and Target RO water is fine.
Life is too short for bad espresso! - Thunk-ed, NOT stirred!

homeburrero
Team HB

#14: Post by homeburrero »

kris772 wrote:So my conclusion is that my approach to water treatment is fine and Target RO water is fine.
I agree.

However,
kris772 wrote:my treated water measures 15
That is lower than you would expect for 0.3 grams of baking soda added to a gallon of water. The actual TDS of that would be 80 mg/L and the conductivity at 25℃ would be about 90 µS/cm. (I use this app to calculate conductivity: http://www.aqion.onl/show_ph .) Using a typical inexpensive TDS conductivity meter, with the water at 25℃, that should indicate around 45 ppm. On a fancy one calibrated to a 4-4-2 solution it would indicate closer to 60 ppm.

Nothing to worry about, but might be worth double checking that you mixed it right and that you are reading the water at a temperature near 25℃.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Supporter ♡

#15: Post by kris772 (original poster) »

No worries, Pat, Yes, indeedie I have been shorting it to see if the reservoir level sensor would continue to work and it has. I have a "smidgen" measuring spoon which is advertised as 1/32 tsp or 66mg, and I found that about half of that put on my 0.1 scale would equal 0.3mg. I should get out my mg scale and see what it says, but , for me, it will suffice to go a little heavier (3/4 smidgen) and that should do the trick. Thanks!

A'he'hee

baldheadracing
Team HB

#16: Post by baldheadracing »

... and now you can use your TDS meter to confirm your smidgens :-).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Supporter ♡

#17: Post by kris772 (original poster) »

EXACTLY!!!