Reusing Boiled Water: OK or Not?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
JamesB517

#1: Post by JamesB517 »

Hey folks, I am a new user of Third Wave Coffee and because I am a user of the Flair 58, my routine involves putting my water in a kettle. I try to be generous when putting this kettle in just out of caution so I don't run out. Because I have the full non electric version I have to pre heat the machine with boiling water. However, this is only boiling for probably ten seconds, and I immediately then drop the temp and take it off the heat.

This is where my question comes in: If I let this excess water cool off, and then pour it back into my jug of Third Wave, is my coffee going to suddenly be flat and flavorless? Will the minerals be gone? Or should I just dump it?

Any help appreciated, thank you.
Life is like a shot of espresso. You never know what you're gonna get.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Unless a couple of billion Zoshirushi hot water dispensers are wrong, it's OK.
Jim Schulman

Pressino

#3: Post by Pressino »

JamesB517 wrote: This is where my question comes in: If I let this excess water cool off, and then pour it back into my jug of Third Wave, is my coffee going to suddenly be flat and flavorless? Will the minerals be gone? Or should I just dump it?

Any help appreciated, thank you.
Actually the only problem I can think of right now is not that the minerals will be gone, but rather that whatever minerals were present to begin will be at higher concentrations after an episode of boiling...and increased further with additional boiling.

Whether that's a problem depends on what minerals were present and how much.

RyanJE

#4: Post by RyanJE »

I think if your water is "scaling" it will actually continue to get harder?? I could be wrong tho!
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

JamesB517 (original poster)

#5: Post by JamesB517 (original poster) »

It bubbles for probably fifteen seconds, I don't think there's any significant amount of evaporation.
Life is like a shot of espresso. You never know what you're gonna get.

Phobic

#6: Post by Phobic »

agree on the point that repeated boiling will concentrate minerals - is it enough to be noticeable though??

regardless I always weigh the water into the kettle and boil what I need +3-5%.

then just throw the remainder away.

no point heating what you don't need, and no point keeping a few ml, just flush it away.

NicoNYC

#7: Post by NicoNYC »

The same sort of concentration of minerals occurs in single-boiler machines - any steaming will concentrate the minerals in the remaining water.

At least with the Flair it's not so much a scale concern as a flavor one, and in the end who knows if the specified concentration of TWW is ideal for your coffee and your palate.
LMWDP #718