Recommended water filtration for double boiler espresso machine, very soft water

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Javarick
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Javarick »

I'm going to buy a new double boiler machine and plumb it in. I live in North Vancouver, where our water varies from 2.4 to 6.7 mg/L, or the same in PPM (with slight rounding error). The water here is pretty well treated. Sand filtered, ozonated, UV-C treated, and a little Chlorine added for transport through old pipes.

Never had scale problems but that just means I don't know about them. ;-)

The biggest concern I have is sediment. Despite the good filtration, any time work is done on the water system, we get dirty water for a few hours. You can see it in the bottom of the toilet tank. After 10 years, there's a thin layer of silt on the bottom.

I don't need water softening. I suspect I should just get a plain filter that takes out sediment and chlorine.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Rick

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Javarick wrote:don't need water softening. I suspect I should just get a plain filter that takes out sediment and chlorine.
Does that make sense?
Yes. Vancouver water is amazingly soft and pure. Some more Vancouver water discussion can be seen here: How to interpret water quality document.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Javarick
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Javarick »

Thanks for the reference!

I'm in North Vancouver. My conclusion is to put in a filter that takes out chlorine and sediment, but not to bother to remineralize. I've been running home espresso machines in North Vancouver since 1992, and never had a scale problem.