Periodically drain steam/water boiler?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
DM

#1: Post by DM »

I have a Profitec double boiler machine, and I only use the steam/water boiler for steaming milk. Should I be periodically draining the water from that boiler for reasons of mineral build-up? My water is quite soft.

Thanks

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

DM wrote:Should I be periodically draining the water from that boiler for reasons of mineral build-up? My water is quite soft.
Yes. If your water is soft enough to be non-scaling you can manage it via regular use the hot water tap: Using hot water tap to manage steam boiler water concentration

For more scale-prone water you can occasionally fully drain the steam boiler. The descaling instructions in your user manual should tell you how to drain it. (Probably a simple matter of getting the machine up to pressure, then powering the machine off, removing the water tap nozzle, then opening the hot water tap and draining fully.) Once drained you can descale it if necessary but if not necessary just fill it with your usual water, or better yet with distilled or de-ionized that has a tiny pinch of baking soda just to make sure the water sensor probes work right.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

DM (original poster)

#3: Post by DM (original poster) »

Awesome link Pat, thanks!