Pentair Everpure advice

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
zacho

#1: Post by zacho »

I'm starting my research on a filtration system for my new house that i've yet to move in to. Currently do only pourover but will probably get an espresso machine for the new place as well. Have been wanting to get a Pentair Everpure filtration system but the number of choices is just overwhelming and I've no idea where to start.

https://www.pub.gov.sg/Documents/Singap ... uality.pdf

This is the water quality report for Singapore.

Any help/feedback is very much appreciated

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Looks like the average chloride ion level has gone up a little since the last time we had a Singapore water question - 2 quick questions about water - help please

Singapore water sources are incredibly technologically advanced, with water coming from 17 surface reservoirs, imported water, reclaimed wastewater, and desalinated seawater. I suspect that's part of the reason those reports indicate such a wide range. For example you have TDS between 62 - 250 ppm, total hardness between 19 - 157 ppm, and chloride between <5 - 120 ppm.

If the average values in that report represent a by-volume average of what comes out of your tap then you have water that will not produce scale, so no need to soften. The average alkalinity is near ideal and it would not be good to reduce it with a decarbonizing filter like the Pentair Everpure. (The Everpure, like many popular filters, uses a WAC resin that reduces the alkalinity as well as the hardness, and tends to acidify the water. All three factors together are effective at reducing limescale.) When you have that much chloride in the water without a high alkalinity, WAC resin filters are not a good choice. I think your best bet here, short of going to reverse osmosis (RO) and remineralization, would be to just use a good particulates plus carbon or charcoal filter.

Chloride at 30 mg/L is right where La Marzocco would have you considering using a RO to remove it. Synesso is more conservative and recommends RO if your chloride is above 15 mg/L. Of course you can use bottled or recipe water to avoid the tapwater's chloride issue.

You can use an inexpensive TDS conductivity meter to see if your water is coming out above or below those water report averages. At that reported average conductivity you would expect a typical inexpensive TDS meter (NaCl calibrated, factor of 0.5) to read about 100-105 ppm with the water at 25 ℃.

* averages in this 2020-2021 report:
chloride ion: 30 ppm
alkalinity (as CaCO3): 40 ppm
total hardness (as CaCO3): 39 ppm
TDS: 107 ppm
Conductivity: 205 μS/cm

P.S.
I enjoyed learning a little about Singapore water by watching this nicely-done ELI5 YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BGUT7BjPl0
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h