Most convenient water?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
drtzali

#1: Post by drtzali »

What's the most convenient way to get/produce water for low volume home use, assuming I'll be adding some electrolytes..Buying a home distiller? Home reverse osmosis system? Ordering distilled water for delivery? I want to have a simple system that will never leave me having to run to the grocery to pick up bottles. (This is for a decent if that matters)

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

That probably depends on the price of delivered water and your tap water's chemistry.

I realize that you said that you don't want to pick up water, but if there is a good local supermarket, then a lot of people find it not too inconvenient - you have to pickup groceries or have them delivered anyway - and also the least expensive.

Home distillers are not convenient compared to turning on a tap on an undersink RO system. Distillers can also be uneconomical if your utility rates are high.

I used an electric home distiller for years for coffee water but last year I gave up the pain of keeping everything clean and sanitized, and plumbed the machines in.

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

A countertop distiller is pretty easy, but check the electrical costs.

I can buy bulk RO/DI at $0.49/gal and have four 1 gal glass bottles I use to ferry it from the local grocery store every couple of weeks.

If your tap is generally "good", a ZeroWater filter is another option. They can be expensive if you have hard water.

MNate

#4: Post by MNate »

My water is very hard. I went from:
-Nothing, to
-2 10" filters under the sink (didn't do well enough) to
-buying distilled from the grocery store (ok but it does get annoying), and now
-RO system. I meant to update an earlier thread I started on it but I really like it. It takes my water from over 300 tds to under 20. I add back in minerals similar to when I used distilled. And I've found other uses for the water as well like for our small humidifiers.

So I think that's easy.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#5: Post by RapidCoffee »

I've been using RO water (from an under sink system) to make Pavlis water for my DE1 for over two years now. Very convenient, no descaling required, no issues so far.
John