Is water's blue tint really being caused by chloride? - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
miamichillin99

Postby miamichillin99 » Apr 13, 2019, 5:33 pm

If I run enough water through the grouphead it will eventually come out clear. After about 8-12 oz. its clear. once I let it rest for a while the water starts coming out blue again. Any tips. Should I descale just the heat exchanger some more to clean whatever is causing the blue? In my previous post the blue scale on the connector was on the connector going to the heat exchanger. I have a feeling this is the culprit. I like the snake camera idea. Maybe ill buy one to peek into the heat exchanger.

homeburrero
Team HB

Postby homeburrero » Apr 13, 2019, 8:21 pm

miamichillin99 wrote:Should I descale just the heat exchanger some more to clean whatever is causing the blue?

I would not recommend that. Suppose the blue is associated with copper in sulfate deposits - the acid would not dissolve that and you would be risking more corrosion for no reason.

What I might try instead would be to go through a long descaling procedure, but instead of descaling solution use purified water spiked with a tiny amount of protective bicarbonate buffer. About 0.3 - 0.4 gram of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) per gallon of distilled would be good. That would dissolve sulfate as effectively as a harsh acid solution but would be harmless to the machine. Can't hurt and may help.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

miamichillin99

Postby miamichillin99 » Apr 14, 2019, 10:54 pm

Well I tried the bakingg soda solution and it didnt work. Actually it made the water a strong green blue again. Now it has subsided back to a faint light blue tint after a lot of flushing. I did use 10g per liter as was the recommendation in the blue water thread posted earlier.