Is there a water testing device for these specs?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
linuxAndJavaScript

#1: Post by linuxAndJavaScript »

Is there a decent water meter/testing device that I can buy that will analyze water for these specs?

https://lamarzoccousa.com/wp-content/up ... ations.pdf

Or can only a lab get these kinds of units/measurements?

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by RockyIII »

La Marzocco makes a water test kit. It is currently in stock at Espresso Parts.

https://www.espressoparts.com/la-marzoc ... r-test-kit

Rocky

linuxAndJavaScript (original poster)

#3: Post by linuxAndJavaScript (original poster) »

Oh... I was looking for something that I could use over and over. I would like to start making my own water.

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

Your first step is to get what you can from your water utility. You may need to dig a little beyond the 'consumer confidence report' - - look for a more complete analysis. For example, for City of Austin water you would start here: https://www.austintexas.gov/department/ ... -summaries

Lots of people do hardness and alkalinity measurements using drop titration test kits. The best are from Hach, but you can also use the popular and inexpensive API Fishcare GH & KH kit. (with these, GH is a total hardness measurement and KH is an alkalinity measurement.)

Hach makes a chloride drop titration test kit, discussed here: The skinny on chloride testing. But it is a little pricy and most people go with the numbers from their water utility reports.

For chlorine or chloramine you can assume that it's there and will be handled by charcoal filtration.

For TDS you can buy an inexpensive conductivity meter, but don't worry much about TDS if the other numbers are OK . And be aware that the conductivity meter is only a rough indication of actual TDS. If it says 20 ppm you know you have very little minerals and if it says 200 ppm you know you have lots of minerals but still don't know what they might be.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Auctor

#5: Post by Auctor »

I've been wondering about making my own for a couple months now, and have recently switched to rpavlis (distilled water and potassium bicarbonate). For the money, I think it's cheaper to start from zero (RO or distilled) and add your electrolytes (potassium, salt, magnesium, calcium) deliberately, vs trying to test your way into rebuilding existing tap or spring water. (Happy to be proven wrong here.)

My next experiment is to start adding tiny amount of calcium and magnesium to my rpavlis concentrate, and reduce the amount of potassium, to see if there's a taste that I find great to drink regularly as well as safe for my machine.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by jwCrema »

I believe there is value in understanding what you've cooked up. My levers both have their original mechanical pstats and I am seeking to prolong their lives while seeking a better tasting cup.

I never fully realized what the implication of adding KHCO3 was to the water I'm using until this week. Adding the stuff, so it has to be good, right? I had not considered that I could be taking water that was really quite close already and making it corrosive.

I'm going to reduce the amount of KHCO3 and am looking at the kits in this thread to understand how much I actually need to add.