Is it OK to use Third Wave Water without a Lelit filter in a Lelit Elizabeth

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
JHCCoffee

#1: Post by JHCCoffee »

I am testing Third Wave Water (TWW) Espresso Version in my Lelit Elizabeth, following their directions of 1 packet to 1 gallon RO water.

Overall TDS is 180 vs my BWT filtered tap water at 120 vs straight tap water at 160.

I understand that TWW is within recommended parameters of 3 to 4 grains calcium (50 to 60 ppm) and 150 total dissolved solids.

Should I use a Lelit filter with this water? Or am I fine without one?

I presume that using a Lelit filter would alter the TWW water, which would defeat the purpose.

But I do not wish to cause scale build up or risk any other damage to my machine.

Comments? Thoughts?

Thanks all.

JHCCoffee

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

In general, third wave water recipes use non-scaling mineral recipes. In particular, they use high levels of calcium and magnesium and low levels of carbonates. They replace the scaling carbonates with nitrates or sulphates. This is different from the action of standard softeners, cation ion exchangers, like your Lelit filter, which replaces the calcium and magnesium with sodium or potassium ions, while leaving the carbonates in place.

So do not use the filter, or you will be removing precisely the magnesium and calcium that you get from the 3rd wave recipe.

Now my personal advice: Whether it is the calcium/magnesium or carbonates that make the coffee taste right I do not know. What I do know is that the Lelit Elizabeth is not a three group, plumbed in, commercial machine. You can descale it very easily, and save yourself the hocus pocus. Alternatively, you can use slightly demineralized water, with the same calcium and magnesium carbonates found in biosphere water, at about 50 to 75 TDS, and never have to descale your machine either.
Jim Schulman