Is it ok to leave espresso machine on for long periods

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
anjony

#1: Post by anjony » Jan 10, 2020, 5:44 pm

Hi All

May not be fully water related. But my question is, is it ok/safe to leave the machine (ECM Synchronika) for few hours at a time? I usually turn it on at 5AM and turn off until 9AM, I do the same at night (on at 5PM turn off 9PM). Is it better/ worse to turn on/off often as needed? Asking this from a general health of the machine and also from the perspective of increasing chances of scaling/corrosion.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Tony C.

#2: Post by Tony C. » Jan 14, 2020, 9:57 am

There was a post I read somewhere on google comparing the cost of a machine left on the entire day versus one turned off when not in use and then turned on again. They actually listed the cost per hour in the U.S. in cents which I found very interesting. You can try to google it with some key words which I did but I'll try to find it if I can. What I remember is that unless the machine is off for more than 4-5 hours it doesn't pay to turn it off from an energy point of view. There are certain machines that could incur more wear from the constant pressure of being left on all day and not used but that was subjective. I hope this helps. Tony

Tony C.

#3: Post by Tony C. » Jan 14, 2020, 10:00 am

Shuka

#4: Post by Shuka » Jan 14, 2020, 10:29 am

The article's interpretation is wrong. Its premise is that turning on the machine takes the same energy regardless of how warm the boilers are. You will always save energy by turning off the machine when not in use.
Good morning, Sunshine!

doug

#5: Post by doug » Jan 14, 2020, 10:49 am

And pressurestats / thermostats can get gunked with scale or occasionally fail. There's always redundant safety valves and thermal fuses, but I don't like the idea of leaving any machine unattended for hours on end.

Tony C.

#6: Post by Tony C. » Jan 14, 2020, 10:53 am

Actual they address both these issues. First he acknowledges that it costs more in the morning when starting with a cold machine then compares that to after the machine has been left on the entire day. Then he confirms that he indeed will save about .03 cents if he turns the machine off in between usage but it may not be worth the effort if you consider the machine will be ready for use at a moments notice. Perhaps I'm interpreting it differently than others but that's what I infer from this video.

Tony C.

#7: Post by Tony C. » Jan 14, 2020, 10:57 am

Hey Doug, they are all valid considerations. Normally I don't leave my machine on if no one will be at home. There is an interesting thread on Home Barista that deals with the issues you raised.

Tony C.

#8: Post by Tony C. » Jan 14, 2020, 11:09 am

https://baristahustle.com/knowledgebase ... overnight/

This is for commercial use, nevertheless some information can be gleaned from reading it.

BaristaBoy E61

#9: Post by BaristaBoy E61 » Jan 14, 2020, 11:47 am

In your case, 'OFF' being at least 8-hours, I would turn it 'OFF'. Note however, that if you live in a cold climate requiring heating, that all resistance heating (including espresso machines) is 100% efficient so there is no real down side to leaving your machine 'ON' as you are heating your home anyway, unless you otherwise heat with a heat pump or geothermal that is a heat pump anyway and heat pumps are more than 100% efficient.

On the other hand, if you are air-conditioning your home the espresso machine is working against your air-conditioner so you might have longer run times of the air-conditioner or heat pump. That constitutes only a minor increase in energy usage due to longer run times of AC or HP but might also result in better dehumidification.

Probably more info than you need.

BTW: Our DB espresso machine uses about 250-watts/hr., average, when left 'ON'. You can use that as a guide. If your machine is PID controlled with a 'Solid State Relay' there is not much that will wear out.

YMMV
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"