Is the formula for TWW Espresso Profile known?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
boren

#1: Post by boren »

Searching the web I can only find the formula for their Classic Profile, in this baristamagazine.com article from 2016. At least then it was supposed to be 50-60ppm calcium, 70-80ppm magnesium, and 10-15ppm sodium.

Was the Espresso Profile formula ever published? On their website they just specify that the ingredients are Magnesium Sulfate, Calcium Citrate and Potassium Bicarbonate.

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

There is some discussion of the espresso formula by Taylor Minor of TWW and follow-on discussion here: Third Wave Water capsules - add to water for better tasting coffee

The main difference is that they dropped the sodium chloride from the espresso formula and added a touch of potassium bicarbonate. This makes sense because chloride may cause corrosion in espresso machines and bicarbonate is desirable to mitigate corrosion.

It's possible that the current espresso formula is different from the original discussed in that post above.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Advertisement
boren (original poster)

#3: Post by boren (original poster) »

Thanks homeburrero for this information. I'm supposed to get the TWW-Espresso soon. If the result is to my liking, I'll try to find a lab that can analyse the composition of their mix. I want to see if I create something similar by mixing different kinds of mineral water (and if absolutely needed, distilled water too).

Arch

#4: Post by Arch »

So the Espresso Profile Alkalinity/KH might have increased a bit.

A friend used my API GH & KH General & Carbonate Hardness Freshwater Aquarium Test Kit to test the TWW Espresso Profile and got:
GH: ~152 ppm
KH: ~45 ppm

That was with distilled water and double the test sample, so that each drop was half a German Degree.

homeburrero
Team HB

#5: Post by homeburrero »

Thanks, Michael,

Good to have a recent measurement. They are pretty close to the numbers in that post referenced above. The KH is a little higher than Taylor Minor's 30 ppm measurement. They may have bumped their bicarbonate a little to meet the conventional advice of 40 mg/L or more for espresso machine health.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h