Is anything more than Third Wave necessary?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
JamesB517

#1: Post by JamesB517 »

Hello all, I am very new to espresso and my machine is a Flair 58x (the fully non electric, no preheat component). This seems convenient as scale build up seems unlikely assuming you do a basic cleaning after each brew of course. When I saw that water was something that seemed to matter than what I had anticipated I chose to get the Third Wave Espresso Profile (https://thirdwavewater.com/products/1-g ... so-profile). Is there any other concerns I should have regarding water once I simply use distilled water combined with a Third Wave packet?

Thank you! :D
Life is like a shot of espresso. You never know what you're gonna get.

OK31
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by OK31 »

Aside from taste which is subjective I've been lead to believe that's the most reasonable option for worry free drinking. Alternatively Poland spring in the north east is another option both of which are presented by some manufacturers to ensure machine longevity.

JamesB517 (original poster)

#3: Post by JamesB517 (original poster) »

Thank you! I am in California so no Poland Spring and I would rather not support Nestle, so Third Wave it is. I appreciate it! :)

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

TWW espresso formula is an easy and reasonable option, and most users report it to be scale free. Another option that is completely worry free and very popular with users on this site is to simply add some potassium bicarbonate or sodium bicarbonate to your distilled water. Cheap and available, and unquestionably machine healthy. Although you do need to measure out the proper amount yourself and there are various approaches to doing that: Easiest way to make rpavlis water?
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

#5: Post by JamesB517 (original poster) »

That's very interesting, and sounds much more cost friendly! I will check that out.

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

JamesB517 wrote:I am in California so no Poland Spring and I would rather not support Nestle
If you find a good source of Crystal Geyser from the Mount Shasta (Weed CA) source, it would be a nice non-scaling water. Better than Poland Spring, but with CG you need to carefully look on the bottle to make sure it actually is from the Mt.Shasta / Weed bottling source. (Crystal Geyser has 7 bottling plants with very different waters, and sometimes two bottles on the same shelf in a store might come from two different sources.)
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

#7: Post by JamesB517 (original poster) »

My local grocery store always has gallons of CG, and I'm sure at least a couple will fit the bill. Thank you! 8)

chipman

#8: Post by chipman replying to JamesB517 »

If you are in Northern Ca. more than likely CG will be from Mt Shasta. I've bought this water for 15 years and have never seen it from any other bottling plants. Just check before you purchase.

#9: Post by JamesB517 (original poster) »

I am in SoCal but hoping they are available.