Ideal/best water treatment for my situation

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
aWud
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by aWud »

Hi,

I was able to extract the following data out of my city's water quality report. I wasn't able to find data on every parameter, seems that the city only report on regulated contaminants/parameters.

Here's what I was able to find:

Chloride: 62ppm
TDS: 372ppm
PH: 7.8units
Hardness (as CACO3): 169ppm

Full report: https://www.modestogov.com/DocumentCent ... eports-PDF

From my chloride levels, I assume my only option is RO, but not sure, would appreciate your thoughts. If RO is indeed my only option, which system should I be looking at if I want a blending valve to adjust TDS?

I'm expecting a delivery of my new Speedster early '22.

Thanks,
Adham!

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

I agree, and it's not just the high average chloride that's problematic. That report indicates a huge range of values (5 - 470 mg/L for chloride, and 26 - 346 mg/L for hardness) and it's not clear to what extent they represent values that might be seen at your house's tap. You might try contacting the water utility folks to ask about the ranges that you might see at your home address. Given the numbers you have in that report, your prudent choice is to use RO and remineralize with a calcite cartridge.

Most of the affordable home units don't have blending valves -- they just use a remineralizing cartridge to get back some hardness and alkalinity. That may be sufficient for you, and possibly even a better choice if your tap water numbers do vary widely over time, forcing you to frequently remeasure and adjust the blending valve.

I'm not up to speed on affordable RO systems with blending valves. I believe the systems from Pentair/Everpure, and from Optipure are common in shops. They cost upwards of $1000 USD and produce 50 gallons or more per day. I've seen fairly inexpensive RO units with blending valves and TDS meters available on the web, but don't know enough about them to recommend. Maybe others will weigh in. I suspect that an important part of the decision here would be the vendor who supports the unit.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

homeburrero wrote:That report indicates a huge range of values (5 - 470 mg/L for chloride, and 26 - 346 mg/L for hardness) and it's not clear to what extent they represent values that might be seen at your house's tap.
LADWP mixed water from many sources. Values at the tap varied dramatically depending on the water source. TDS was all over the map from <75 to >400. Some days, the chlorine smell was enough to make you gag. I imagine it's much the same for many metro area in CA.

aWud (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by aWud (original poster) »

That is my assumption as well, different sources used which lead to inconsistent values. One of the many luxuries of living in CA, I assume. I will have to research a little more on which RO system to use, I did come across an RO from a company called LivingWater, https://livingwatersocal.com/product/li ... -h75-plus/ seem to fit the need.

Thanks guys - really appreciate the feedback.
Adham.