I need to plumb-in - water treatment options?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
anjony

#1: Post by anjony »

Hi All,

Thanks for this site I have learned a lot (in just a week!!). I just recently bought the ECM Synchronika. I have underestimated the weight and size of this machine where I have put in my kitchen and so the filling of reservoir would really be a chore each time. Thus the need to plumb to water line.

WLL offers this Bestmax Premium filter but after reading all the water related post here I am concerned if it will work. Here is the Langelier Index calculator results below. The results from the township are "average" results. Would appreciate your advise if Bestmax Premium will work or other options are greatly appreciated. My goal is prob 50/50 prevent scale and better taste

Water Temp 202F
ph 7.5
TDS 239
Ca 100 as CaCo3
Alkalinity 78
Langelier Index +0.53

Other data not include in the calc Chloride is 78 (have read here

So I'm around the here mild coating/scaling. Thank you in advance for your inputs

anjony (original poster)

#2: Post by anjony (original poster) »

and FYI on above, in case someone likes to see the full report here is the link, thanks again!

https://www.middlesexwater.com/wp-conte ... E-Copy.pdf

homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

anjony wrote:Other data not include in the calc Chloride is 78
I think that's the key here. Also, looking at the Middlesex water report note that the water is highly variable, with chloride ranging from 30 - 188 ppm, and TDS ranging 190 - 1200 ppm! These wide ranges may be partly geographical, but likely are also due to seasons (winter road salt) and shifting water sources. The alkalinity relative to chloride and sulfate is low, so I would not recommend a WAC resin (decarbonizing) filter like the BWT bestmax.

If it were me I'd start out with bottled or home-mineralized water, then if plumbing in go with a RO and a remineralizer. That would remove chloride and produce a consistent water year round irrespective of variations in the tap water.

Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

anjony (original poster)

#4: Post by anjony (original poster) »

Ok, thank you. For plumb-in system, can you recommend a RO with remineralization system (hopefully its an all in one under the sink). I may have to consider that in the near future.

For the meantime, the bottled solution will have to do and see how it works out in terms of moving the machine just to replenish water. I'm planning to just get a supply of 1 gal distilled water and drop in those GC water or Third Wave Water. That should work correct? (I know i can blend my own with the recipes suggested here, but just trying the easy way out :)

Thanks again for your prompt reply..much appreciated

homeburrero
Team HB

#5: Post by homeburrero »

anjony wrote:For plumb-in system, can you recommend a RO with remineralization system (hopefully its an all in one under the sink).
I don't have direct experience here for a recommendation. Here's a recent thread that might help: Reverse Osmosis Water Remineralization Advice . The homemaster discussed in that thread looks reasonable to me on paper. I like that it's a simple remineralizer -- no trick to appeal to the current fad for very high pH 'alkaline water'. But it won't add much hardness and alkalinity - you will end up with Seattle soft water.
anjony wrote:I'm planning to just get a supply of 1 gal distilled water and drop in those GC water or Third Wave Water. That should work correct?
Yes. That would work. The simplest would be to go with R Pavlis water - simply add 0.4 g of potassium bicarbonate or 0.3 g of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to 1 gallon of distilled. No hardness, but good alkalinity and people report that it produces good espresso.

Also worth pointing out here that there is another good option for you that doesn't require RO but lets you go with a plumb-in machine connection. You can use home formulated water in carboys and a pump system. Here's one good example: Espresso Cart - Goodbye Plumbed In
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h