I've been using reverse osmosis water for my HX espresso machine

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
toferabc

#1: Post by toferabc »

Hi all, I did not realize I was using RO/purified water since I got my new NS Oscar 2 3 days ago. I was using filtered (~50ppm) from a water supplier before but we(family) apparently changed suppliers before I got the machine. How much damage, if any, did this cause to the HX boiler? I ran a pretty big amount of water on the machine already as I was messing with it/ dialing in, maybe more than 20 liters/ 5 gallons.

I have now put barista hustle espresso water in the reservoir and have not yet run the machine. the NS Oscar has no water tap so only way of draining the boiler is by opening a drain valve in the boiler itself. I dont really want to mess with the fittings and what not.

Thanks for any input

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

There won't be any damage in such a short period. While RO water theoretically can cause damage this is something that takes years to occur. Mostly, you want some minerals in the water for the taste, not to protect your equipment.

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

Agreed that no damage was done. The very short term problem would have been that the level sensor could not 'see' the water level and the boiler would have overfilled. There was evidently enough residual minerals left from the previous use to avoid that. Brew On!
Espresso! My Espresso! - http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
LMWDP #644

Ciaran

#4: Post by Ciaran »

It's probably not residual minerals, rather it only takes a slight amount of conductivity for the water sensor to work. The Oscar uses a modified Gicar RL30. Gigar autofill circuits use a low voltage, high-frequency signal (1-3vac/1.3-1.4hz). The problem with sensors not working in low TDS water is mostly confined to DC probes used in inexpensive machines and batch brewers.

And I used straight RO water for YEARS in my Oscar without issue.

toferabc

#5: Post by toferabc »

thanks for all the answers guys,
Ciaran wrote:It's probably not residual minerals, rather it only takes a slight amount of conductivity for the water sensor to work. The Oscar uses a modified Gicar RL30. Gigar autofill circuits use a low voltage, high-frequency signal (1-3vac/1.3-1.4hz). The problem with sensors not working in low TDS water is mostly confined to DC probes used in inexpensive machines and batch brewers.

And I used straight RO water for YEARS in my Oscar without issue.

I have a oscar specific question if you dont mind answering. How do you deal with cooling flushes? right now I dont really do them as I've tested with a thermapen, the first trickle of water reads around 200-205F and doesn't really sputter/steam. Are there any oscar centric forums that you know that discusses the quirks of the machine?