How pleased are you with ZeroWater solution? - Page 3

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
homeburrero
Team HB

#21: Post by homeburrero »

Thanks for reporting back.
Moka 1 Cup wrote:TDS of my tap water raised to 52-56
That's as expected. At 25C (77F) a 100 mg/L potassium bicarbonate solution should have a conductivity of 116 µS/cm*. On an inexpensive TDS meter calibrated to 0.5 (like the one that comes with the ZeroWater pitcher) it should indicate 58 ppm at 25C. A different TDS meter calibrated on a '4-4-2' solution might be expected to read closer to 75 ppm. Of course your actual TDS is around 100 ppm in this case (If you accurately dissolved 100 mg of minerals in 1 liter of pure water.)

Moka 1 Cup wrote:So I am very surprised by the fact that the water still measures "000".
Either the filter performs better than I expected or there is something else that I should keep in account.
Probably is performing better than you estimated. Once it's depleted the TDS will rise noticeably.
Moka 1 Cup wrote:Having said that, I am very happy about the system, the easiness of use and the taste of my espresso. So far I would buy it again.
And another positive testimonial for the R. Pavlis water for espresso.

* I usually just trust http://www.aqion.onl/show_ph to do calculations for pH and conductivity.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Moka 1 Cup

#22: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

homeburrero wrote:....

And another positive testimonial for the R. Pavlis water for espresso.
Correct. And that is also because of all the information that you have provided on this forum. Thank you!
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

Moka 1 Cup

#23: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

homeburrero wrote: .....
Probably is performing better than you estimated. Once it's depleted the TDS will rise noticeably.
This is exactly what happened. After it showed 1TDS for the first time it stayed there for about three gallons and then it took only three weeks to get to 4.
Instead of replacing the filter of my pitcher I decided to upgrade the whole thing to the 23Cup tank. In this way I'll always have enough filtered water to prepare one gallon of Pavlis water.

Edit: I can also add that I tested the water coming out from the new filter and it was at about pH=5 or less, like the first one.

homeburrero
Team HB

#24: Post by homeburrero »

Moka 1 Cup wrote:Edit: I can also add that I tested the water coming out from the new filter and it was at about pH=5 or less, like the first one.
A pH of 5 or 6 is expected for any highly pure water that is at equilibrium with atmospheric CO2. The acidity is from dissolved CO2 and water reacting to form carbonic acid (CO2 + H2O ⇋ H2CO3 ). Since there is nothing in the water to buffer that acidity, it's very hard to reliably measure the pH of purified water. Once you add even a tiny bit of bicarbonate the pH comes up to neutral and is easier to reliably measure.
Pat

Moka 1 Cup

#25: Post by Moka 1 Cup » replying to homeburrero »

Does that mean that it is ok to drink as table water (without adding anything) ?

homeburrero
Team HB

#26: Post by homeburrero »

Provided the incoming water is safe drinking water, at least with respect to organics and microorganisms that the ZeroWater can't filter, then yes is OK to drink. Here's what I think is a reasonable and scientifically founded discussion about pros and cons of routinely drinking distilled or otherwise purified water: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pu ... ular-water.
Pat

brianl

#27: Post by brianl »

I started out with ZeroWater but it's just too expensive for me now (cambridge MA). I have officially switched over to portable water distiller ganng. Then I do the fabulous R Pavlis potassium recipe to around 150 ppm.

Bobbrown

#28: Post by Bobbrown »

Hi everyone.

This is probably a really stupid question and I think I already know the answer, but: Once you have prepared your rpavlis water using zerowater as the base, you then just chuck it into your espresso machines water tank without the supplied espresso machines water filter, correct?

And this tastes good, produces no scale and causes no corrosion?

homeburrero
Team HB

#29: Post by homeburrero »

Bobbrown wrote:Once you have prepared your rpavlis water using zerowater as the base, you then just chuck it into your espresso machines water tank without the supplied espresso machines water filter, correct?

And this tastes good, produces no scale and causes no corrosion?
Correct, except for maybe a particles filter or screen to catch particles that may have dropped into your reservoir, you don't need any further filtration of that water. It will never require descaling and has about 50 mg/L alkalinity, which is in the "40 mg/L or more" zone that is typically recommended for corrosion protection. Also has zero chloride, sulfate , etc that are associated with corrosion effects, and chlorine/chloramine and organics that might affect taste have already been filtered out by the charcoal of the zerowater filter. If you have a simple charcoal filter in the machine it will do you no harm to leave it in, but you would want to replace it at the max recommended replacement interval, which has to do with avoiding possible microbe growth on filter media.
Pat

Bobbrown

#30: Post by Bobbrown »

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

As I thought. I have a lelit Bianca on order, which I'm pretty sure comes with a resin "high quality water softener filter" as they refer to it. However I have very hard water and I assume I would still get scale in the machine using tap water and the included filter.

I think I'll give rpavlis zerowater a try, although I doubt that will be very economical due to the hardness of my water. Distilled water seems to be much harder to come by here in the UK.

Thanks again.