How do I read this water hardness test?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Bleu

#1: Post by Bleu »

It took 6 drops for 5ml to turn green. I don't see how that relates to the chart provided.

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Bleu wrote:It took 6 drops for 5ml to turn green. I don't see how that relates to the chart provided.
Each drop is equivalent to 1 German degree of hardness, so 6 drops is equivalent to 6 German degrees of hardness. Multiply German degrees by 17.8 to get total hardness as CaCO3, so. 6 drops would be appx 107 ppm total hardness as CaCO3. If you give or take a drop you get a ballpark of 90 - 125 ppm.

If you wanted a more precise ballpark you can use a 10 ml sample, and if you were to get 12 drops it would be 107 ppm total hardness as CaCO3, and give or take a drop would be more like 100 - 115 ppm.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

P.S.
Bleu wrote:I don't see how that relates to the chart provided.
The provided chart is confusing because it is more info than you need for this test kit. Since the drop count in this reagent correlates to German degrees, the only conversions you need are in the third row of that chart - you can use that to convert the measurement to whatever units you want. In English language coffee and water treatment literature the preference is in units of CaCO3 equivalents, but in Italy and France, French degrees might be preferred, and a chemist might prefer mmol/L or mval/L of hardness (alkaline earth) ions.

The other rows of the chart can be used to convert between units other than German degrees. For example the second row converts from mval/l alkaline earth ions to any of the other units. (mval/l is the same as miilliEquivalent per liter, and alkaline earth ions are effectively calcium and magnesium in natural water.)
Pat

Bleu (original poster)

#4: Post by Bleu (original poster) »

homeburrero wrote:Each drop is equivalent to 1 German degree of hardness, so 6 drops is equivalent to 6 German degrees of hardness. Multiply German degrees by 17.8 to get total hardness as CaCO3, so. 6 drops would be appx 107 ppm total hardness as CaCO3. If you give or take a drop you get a ballpark of 90 - 125 ppm.

If you wanted a more precise ballpark you can use a 10 ml sample, and if you were to get 12 drops it would be 107 ppm total hardness as CaCO3, and give or take a drop would be more like 100 - 115 ppm.
OK. So how does that relate to water quality for my coffee?

I note that when I tested the water coming out of my machine, I got the same degree of hardness - meaning that the BWT pad did not change the hardness.

homeburrero
Team HB

#5: Post by homeburrero »

Bleu wrote:OK. So how does that relate to water quality for my coffee?
A total hardness of 90 - 125 ppm CaCO3 equivalent should be no problem for brewing tasty coffee, but has more hardness than typically recommended for use in espresso machines because it will deposit scale, requiring periodic descaling. Some espresso machine manufacturers suggest using a water softener when coffee exceeds around 50 ppm total hardness as CaCO3. To know with more certainty about scale deposits you need to know both the total hardness and the total alkalinity, and then can use Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ as a technical reference.
Bleu wrote:note that when I tested the water coming out of my machine, I got the same degree of hardness - meaning that the BWT pad did not change the hardness.
I believe that BWT bestsave pad is not a conventional softening resin, but still should reduce your hardness and alkalinity. These filters require a long contact time so you need to fill the reservoir, then let it sit overnight before doing the hardness test. Also make sure the pad is being replaced per the product instructions.
Pat

Bleu (original poster)

#6: Post by Bleu (original poster) »

I'm seeing comments about third-wave water.

I'm wondering if it isn't an easy no muss, no fuss solution. I'm perfectly fine with the cost for the convenience.

So, I have a couple of questions:

1. I would be using it with distilled water which tests to be properly distilled water. I stopped using the distilled water because it definitely has a slightly sour taste - even when diluted to 25% with 75% filtered tap water. Where is this sour taste coming from and will third-wave eliminate that? I don't understand why distilled water has any flavor at all.

2. I use a BWT pad in my machine to reduce scaling due to my hard water. Would using third-wave eliminate the need for the BWT pad?

Please note that if I no longer need the BWT pad, that saves me $7.50 per month, so the cost of the third-wave plus a gallon of distilled water isn't much more than the cost of the pad.

Further note that I do understand I can make my own water additive and save some money, but in the greater scheme of things, third-wave seems like a great way to easily resolve my water problems quickly and easily.

???

homeburrero
Team HB

#7: Post by homeburrero »

Bleu wrote:I would be using it with distilled water which tests to be properly distilled water. I stopped using the distilled water because it definitely has a slightly sour taste - even when diluted to 25% with 75% filtered tap water. Where is this sour taste coming from and will third-wave eliminate that? I don't understand why distilled water has any flavor at all.
Distilled water is devoid of acid buffering carbonates, so after exposed to air it picks up carbonic acid from atmospheric CO2, which results in an acidic pH. That might in theory give it a slightly acidic taste to a very sensitive palate.
Bleu wrote:I use a BWT pad in my machine to reduce scaling due to my hard water. Would using third-wave eliminate the need for the BWT pad?
If you use TWW espresso formula you should not need the BWT pad. The calcium hardness and the alkalinity are at low enough levels that you should have no problems with scale.

I should mention here that there is a very simple non-scaling water formula that is popular with many folks here on HB. It's the Robert Pavlis formula using distilled and a small amount of potassium bicarbonate. Described in this post: Filter recommendation for my water?. It has higher bicarbonate alkalinity than the TWW formula and has zero hardness. Won't scale at all, is safely non-corrosive, and contains no sulfate or citrate. If you try both and are happy with the taste of the Pavlis formula, that would be your better choice.
Pat

Bleu (original poster)

#8: Post by Bleu (original poster) »

[quote="homeburrero" wrote:If you use TWW espresso formula you should not need the BWT pad. The calcium hardness and the alkalinity are at low enough levels that you should have no problems with scale.

I should mention here that there is a very simple non-scaling water formula that is popular with many folks here on HB. It's the Robert Pavlis formula using distilled and a small amount of potassium bicarbonate. Described in this post: Filter recommendation for my water?. It has higher bicarbonate alkalinity than the TWW formula and has zero hardness. Won't scale at all, is safely non-corrosive, and contains no sulfate or citrate. If you try both and are happy with the taste of the Pavlis formula, that would be your better choice.
I think I'll try the third-wave water and then go from there, once I know I'm on the correct path.

I take it from your response, that there'd be no point to using the BWT pad with the third-wave water packets.

homeburrero
Team HB

#9: Post by homeburrero »

Bleu wrote:I take it from your response, that there'd be no point to using the BWT pad with the third-wave water packets.
Correct.
Pat

Bleu (original poster)

#10: Post by Bleu (original poster) »

I've gotten the Third-wave water and am using it with Ozarka distilled water.

Well, it certainly cures the sour taste, but my first reaction is that it's way too strong and that the mineral content overwhelms the coffee.

I do think I'm on the right track, but I think I'm going to try diluting the third-wave by 50%.

If that works, I think I'll try some of the other mineral formulations mentioned in this thread.