Hide and seek: the 5 gallon edition

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Pprior

#1: Post by Pprior »

Basically impossible to plumb in water to my counter unless I run pipes outside and drill through 8" of concrete.

Wife makes very frowny face when topic of storing a 5 gallon water jug with a pump attached to it is even considered.

Anyone here done any "hiding". I can't put a large cart there (much as I would like) but might be able to get away with some small modern looking structure next to the counter. I'm decent with tools and could build, but I'm terrible with design so hoping I might take some inspiration or just outright steal an idea from one of you smart people.

Appreciate any advice - REALLY appreciate pictures.

Cheers

addendum - pics:

The trash can can go away, it's not being used except to store junk.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Some photos and basic measurements (of the installation area in question- not interested in the wife.. :lol: ) would be helpful. Maybe a decorative urn of some sort.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

NicoNYC

#3: Post by NicoNYC »

Can you post a picture of the counter your machine lives on? Will help us get a feel for the style and space available.

Have you considered storing the jug under the existing counter? Modifying the cabinet if necessary to allow space for a jug (eg. replacing drawers with a cabinet door)
LMWDP #718

cafeIKE

#4: Post by cafeIKE »

Lot's of rain in Florida lately...

... cistern on the roof? :lol:

Pprior (original poster)

#5: Post by Pprior (original poster) »

I'll post a picture when I get home in couple hours - I figured i'd just ask to see what others might have done.

It's basically just the end of a countertop and the smaller the better. Modern definitely a must (no knitted cozies or oak boxes kind of stuff).

Appreciate you all!

Pprior (original poster)

#6: Post by Pprior (original poster) »

NicoNYC wrote:Can you post a picture of the counter your machine lives on? Will help us get a feel for the style and space available.

Have you considered storing the jug under the existing counter? Modifying the cabinet if necessary to allow space for a jug (eg. replacing drawers with a cabinet door)
Did I mention the wife frowny face. Asking to take over drawer space may be like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Prc1UfuokY

Pprior (original poster)

#7: Post by Pprior (original poster) »

Pic added up top to original post. the other option that MIGHT be possible would be to put the jug up top the pantry which is on the other end of the countertop. Wouldn't be easy, and I'd have to drill holes in the wall and move the coffee station (taking my life in my own hands again), and I'm not sure that would be wise as I'd be creating a siphon.

Marcelnl

#8: Post by Marcelnl »

does the machine have a reservoir, boiler of decent size?
I'm using a rotary vane pump to intermittently fill the 5L Urania boiler, every three days or so.
LMWDP #483

Pprior (original poster)

#9: Post by Pprior (original poster) »

@Marcelnl I'm ok filling the reservoir, but looking at new machine and several can't do pre infusion unless line pressure is present. Plus it would be nice to mix up 5 gallons of proper water mixture rather than filling it every few days. Not sure what you mean about the pump.

Randy G.

#10: Post by Randy G. »

Pull the breakfast table out about two feet and put a cart under what appears to be a window. It would have storage space for brew water with pump and waste container inside. It looks like there might be an outlet right there was well. Tell her that you are doing it so she can have her counter space back. The cart would give you storage as well. Just in case, my brother knows at least two divorce lawyers... just in case. :shock: There are more important things in life than coffee, but it is not even 0830 and I am awaiting my espresso machine to be ready, and so I am incapable of thinking of any at the moment.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done