Help with water quality report

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Mikedayvw

#1: Post by Mikedayvw »

The pH in my tap water is rather high 9.2. Is there anyway to reduce it or should I switch to bottled or make my own. My water is the Carroll water treated column.
Thank you

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

It comes out of the treatment plant at a high pH because they do that to reduce corrosion. Once exposed to air it will pick up CO2 and the pH will drop. The alkalinity is more important than pH, and this water is right at the commonly recommended minimum alkalinity for espresso machines.

This water is soft, and should not produce scale issues. The downside to it is that borderline 28.6 mg/L chloride, but given the good alkalinity (and high pH) I don't think you need to worry about that. (See Chloride in Water - Recommended Acceptable Ranges )
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Mikedayvw (original poster)

#3: Post by Mikedayvw (original poster) »

Thank you for helping me out!

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

I should probably add that your water will tend to concentrate in your steam boiler as you pull pure water vapor out of the steam wand. Most manuals advise that you periodically flush the steam boiler but I don't think the Rocket manual mentions this. You can also use routine flushing via the hot water tap as described here: Using hot water tap to manage steam boiler water concentration
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h