Help with Culligan water/BWT pitcher

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
HeatXchanger

#1: Post by HeatXchanger »

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Bezzera Duo DE and a BWT Penguin pitcher. They should be here tomorrow.

I currently use Culligan water for drinking. It's RO water with "minerals added back for flavor". They deliver it in 5 gallon drums and we have it dispensed via a water cooler.

I wanted to know what would be my best option for water that would avoid need for descaling but has enough magnesium etc in it to ensure adequate flavor.

I was debating between the following options:
A) Culligan water as is
B) Culligan water run through BWT Penguin pitcher to add some more magnesium (BWT has a Mg to Ca cation exchanger).
C) Tap water through BWT pitcher.

Testing results using TDS meter
Culligan: 15 ppm
Tap water: 140 ppm

Testing using Hach 5B hardness test kit
Culligan: 1 grain per gallon
Tap water: between 6-7 grains per gallon

Testing using API KH kit (10 ml sample)
Culligan: 3-4 drops (which apparently translates to 35-45mg/L alkalinity)
Tap water: 6-7 drops

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Arjun
PS: I can do some testing with Culligan and tap water run through the BWT pitcher in a couple days.

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

HeatXchanger wrote:A) Culligan water as is
Given the good alkalinity numbers and the low conductivity reading of the Culligan water I'd be tempted to use it just as-is. With a 15 ppm reading on the conductivity meter, along with the 35-45 ppm KH test you expect that they are adding bicarbonates and not much undesirable chloride or sulfate.
HeatXchanger wrote:B) Culligan water run through BWT Penguin pitcher to add some more magnesium (BWT has a Mg to Ca cation exchanger).
That would be a waste. The BWT resin will exchange some calcium for magnesium, but the Culligan water has so little hardness (calcium + magnesium) that you wouldn't get anything significant. Nor do you need more magnesium in my opinion.

HeatXchanger wrote:C) Tap water through BWT pitcher.
Might be OK, but that pitcher is not very well specified for reducing hardness. It may be sufficient considering your tap water is only 6-7 gpg. (Some recent discussion related to this: Seeking input on BWT-jug-filtered water ). Before going that route it might be good to make sure your tap water does not have high chloride numbers.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
HeatXchanger (original poster)

#3: Post by HeatXchanger (original poster) »

Thanks for your reply. I somehow did not get notified about it.

I am currently using the Culligan water for espresso.

I'll be moving to a newly constructed house soon. Tap water there should be about the same. I plan to get whole home filtration with Carbon filter and water softener.

Thanks again for your input.