Help understanding this water quality report

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
new2espresso

#1: Post by new2espresso »

Hi folks,

I was hoping one of the water gurus on HB could help me figure out how to best treat the water at my new apartment. The current plan is to use distilled water with the Whole Latte Love water recipe, but storage is tight and I was wondering how the tap water compares?

Thank you!
Kind regards,
Karan

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

new2espresso wrote: The current plan is to use distilled water with the Whole Latte Love water recipe, but storage is tight and I was wondering how the tap water compares?
That report is missing a key measure - there are no values for bicarbonate or for alkalinity. But even without that there is enough there to tell you that your current plan is a good one. That water is very hard, and also very variable (which could be due to seasonal switching of sources) but even worse is the high chloride, which if I'm interpreting the columns correctly indicates an average of 62 ppm and a range of 21 - 141 ppm. If you were to plumb this water into an espresso machine, most would recommend a reverse osmosis system.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

new2espresso (original poster)

#3: Post by new2espresso (original poster) »

Thanks Pat,
I will continue with the WLL water recipe!
Kind regards,
Karan