Espresso machine-friendly water recipe? - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
dgasmd

#11: Post by dgasmd »

Thanks to all for the links and replies. My statement about proof was not meant in insult. But I rather read evidence than hearsay. And we all can relate to the world in which we live in now where no evidence is necessary :roll: :?

Off to read.....
Keep it simple and keep it enjoyable. It is about coffee, not quantum physics!

dgasmd

#12: Post by dgasmd »

Just a quick follow up. So got the Eason salt and the bicarbonate. Mixed accordingly and made almost 4 gal of "mix water". Flushed the machine with it pretty well. Will taste in am when I make my "perk me up espresso" followed by my "macchiato out the door".

Advertisement
pcrussell50

#13: Post by pcrussell50 replying to dgasmd »

I assume you made a typo and mean epsom salts? Epsom salts contain magnesium. Magnesium is one of the components in scale. If you use water with enough magnesium in it, you will get scale. If you are going to do that, you should develop a habit of routine inspection to see how things are going. If scale begins to develop, you will have to decide how you want to address it.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

dgasmd

#14: Post by dgasmd replying to pcrussell50 »

Yes, autocorrect.

I went by the Barista Hustle mix. I did triple concentrated the liter mix of Mg and the same for buffer. That way I could just add less volume to a gal of distilled water. The math works out the same. I do still plan on "descaling" every 3 months or so regardless. I can say that the taste difference in the water is significant and contrary to popular opinion has made the coffee sour tasting. Same for the tea I make with the hot water from the machine. Best taste was with about 2/3 distilled water and 1/3 tap water mix frankly! I'll give it time.