Espresso Cart - Goodbye Plumbed In - Page 3

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
homeburrero
Team HB

#21: Post by homeburrero »

drH wrote:I wonder if it could be worth investing in a small water distiller..using that and a pre-made mix in a setup like you describe might be the most hassle free process.
HB member OldNuc (R.I.P.) sometimes recommended countertop distillers, especially if you can find them used at a reasonable price.
(Water - softener vs bottled water )
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

chuckclaunch

#22: Post by chuckclaunch »

Looking to copy cat this setup, just trying to figure out the waste tank. Is that your drain from your machine?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#23: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) replying to chuckclaunch »

Yes my drip tray has a drain. Since my machine is not by a sink I use that easy carry tank. In a prior location the machine drained into a sink "Y"
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

chuckclaunch

#24: Post by chuckclaunch »

Just curious, would a plain old 5 gallon jug with one line from the pump running into be ok?

#25: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) replying to chuckclaunch »

As a drain? Please clarify.
Artisan.Plus User-

chuckclaunch

#26: Post by chuckclaunch »

No I mean in place of the Tamco tank.

#27: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Yes with the following considerations.

I never found a top for a 5gal water bottle that had a John Guest fitting, but never looked too hard. I decided to go another direction with the Tamco.
I wanted the wide mouth lid so that it was easy to fill and didn't have to be moved. In fact I have a friend with the same Tamco and a spigot and he refills his non plumbed machine out of that with a pitcher. If you go with 5 gallon standard bottles and find a top with John Guest (made from brewery supply) then please post it here.

Note that if you are going to make your own water you have to consider how you will add the water stock and mix it to the 5 gallon jug. It can be done, but another thing I don't worry about with the Tamco as I add 2 gallons distilled then the stock then 2 more gallons and it does plenty of mixing naturally that way. It turns out this Tamco needs refilling by 5 gallons but I have come to do it at 4. There are larger Tamco's too but the shipping goes way up.
Artisan.Plus User-

#28: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Saw this for a 5 gallon tank - pick up tube at Caffewerks. Not sure how it seals the top of the tank.
Artisan.Plus User-

chuckclaunch

#29: Post by chuckclaunch »

Awesome, thanks! I just got all my gear in and currently waiting on my new (to me) machine to heat up! I have a few tweaks to the list you posted but will wait until I get some time with it under my belt before posting. I ran with a 3 gallon jug, which is perfect for me because it just fits under my RO water spigot. So when it's empty I can just take it over to the sink and fill it up and done. Very much appreciate this thread and hopefully I can contribute some to it after a while.

spressomon

#30: Post by spressomon »

The problem with a 'swap the water container' format, instead of a water container that gets refilled, is each time you you break the water connection you will need to go through the priming process again. Its time consuming and a bit of a PITA.

Whereas with a fixed water container that gets refilled, assuming you refill before the water level drops below the outlet, there is zero interruption to the water flow/priming of the system.
No Espresso = Depresso