Espresso Cart - Goodbye Plumbed In - Page 19

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
RJB83
Supporter ♡

#181: Post by RJB83 »

Deleted

JoeSlabo

#182: Post by JoeSlabo »

DeuxInfuso wrote:Carefree,
OK, using the valve to prevent loss of prime and leakage? I hadn't thought of that. I add 0.3 ppm copper sulphate to my tank to prevent slime forming bacterial growth, and only do a tank wash perhaps annually. It is usually very clean, and no algae. Sometime a tiny spider somehow gets past lid and drowns.

I just disconnect the 3/8 pex suction at the tank and raise it up, lean it against the wall or wherever, so it doesn't leak. Then clean tank and reconnect. I dont mind losing prime because its so easy to re-establish prime with no backpressure. You could leave the ballvalve and check valve in place... I just try to keep system super simple, but depending on accumulator size and location, add'l CV's could be handy.

In my system I use a 20 gallon Tamco tank, 12" square by 36" tall w/ loose fitting plastic lid. No bulkhead fittings or adapters to JG 3/8". I just drilled a 3/8" hole 1/2" below lid, push suction tube through, use one elbow to direct suction down to base of tank to a 5 micron suction filter (from Fresh Water Systems) and an elbow on the outside to route tubing to Aquatec 2 feet away. 8 years running and zero problems. Love the Aquatec 60 psi, 0.9 GPM pumps.

-Deuxinfuso, Reno
Hello Deuxinfuso, I am working now on my plumb-in plan for my LM Micra. I will be doing a tank based system (under cabinet not cart) for use with Dr. Pavlis's recipe using water from my RO system. Looking at using a 10 gal tank (12" x 12" x 20" tall). I was curious why you love the Aquatec 60 psi, 0.9 GPM pumps so much? The OP and others seem to be using the 1.7 GPM pumps.

I should add a big thank you to the OP, yourself and others for the great contributions to this post. This has already saved me so much time and effort. Thanks!

-- Bob

DeuxInfuso
Supporter ♡

#183: Post by DeuxInfuso »

Joe, welcome to HB. A great resource!

Well, either Aquatec pump will work fine and provide at least 10 years of service. My machine is a lever, so I'm not relying on the pump to pressurize the group. I've used both sizes on three machines, and there isn't any performance difference to speak of. The machines don't demand much flow rate, so I think either model would work fine for a home set up where you don't have 2 barista's going at it.

On my largest machine, I'm currently using a Fluid-o-tech rotary vane pump (TMSS051) that yields 170 L/hr or about 0.75 gpm. It works with a 40/60 psi pressure switch, a 3-gallon accumulator and a Watts pressure reducer to provide steady 2 bar supply, with a small downstream accumulator (small Shurflo all plastic unit about 1 L in size) so the actual flow rate into the machine is independent of the pump.

I like the 0.9 gpm Aquatec pump, with 60 psi built in pressure switch, a little more than the higher flow rate models because it has a somewhat quieter stop when the pressure gets to 60, and doesn't need an accumulator, in fact runs better without one. I had one of these in service on a Londinium L1, 12 hours/day, 7 days a week for 9 years, it never failed. It is a stout pump that I'm keeping as a backup.

--Deuxinfuso

JoeSlabo

#184: Post by JoeSlabo »

Thanks Deuxinfuso, Ok I see what you are doing. That would give you good pressure control. Reminds me of the large commercial machines that use an external pump on the cart. I already have the rotary pump in the Micra that provides the 9 bar. I will just stick with the diaphragm pump since they are cheap and easy. It will supply the pre-infusion pressure (3 bar) along with the water. Looks like the 1.7gpm is the least expensive at $100 so that looks good. I will use the Watts pressure regulator and a pressure tank to setup a typical pump system. I will post up when I pull things together.

Silentsim

#185: Post by Silentsim »

I am running this system with the tamco tank.

My only issue is because where the fitting is on the tamco tank, the bottom part of the container does not get pulled in yby the pump. As a result, the line gets air in it, and I have to purge the accumulator. Any suggestions?

Is there a better tank to use?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#186: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) replying to Silentsim »

Fill the tank sooner. Mine is on a cart that has enough ambient light to see the level each day. If your's isn't you might want to mark an electronic calendar to check it at the appropriate time. I haven't a better tank. You could consider an Aquatainer.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

jsadler

#187: Post by jsadler »

Hi All, thanks for the detailed discussion and instruction on replicating this setup! I've done just that and couldn't be happier. As I'm currently living in an apartment in hard-water Los Angeles, direct plumbing into the main line would be both cumbersome and unnecessarily expensive to ensure good machine health. The machine I'm using is a 2nd- (3rd?) hand Bezzera Strega bought from another HB member in the winter of last year, to which an extensive array of modifications had been done. I'm using a 5-gallon jug with sodium-bicarb rpavlis as the feed and it has allowed me to turn my machine into something extremely flexible and forgiving, as well as a joy to use and live with.

Here are some pictures of the setup:

About 2' of loose 3/8" JG clear tubing as pickup through a silicone cap from Amazon
(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYD4WQJX?re ... tails&th=1)

Input line and added internal Ulka pump on/off switch

Pressure set by the regulator to ~2.5-3 bar, empty accumulator psi set to ~30 psi

I'll add more tees and shut-offs between the accumulator and the machine to make purging easier, as well as a pre-accumulator pressure gauge to double check pump-in pressure, and more of those blue JG safety clips too. I've only used this setup for a few days but this comment got me really interested in the project, and I love that I can now run the Strega completely silently, which was one of the major personal quality-of-life goals with this machine. As shown in the 7th photo, I also added a switch on the underside of the chassis that can be used to activate the internal Ulka pump should I want to venture into preinfusion pressures higher than the 60 psi/4 bar delivered by the aquatec for lighter roasted coffees. That mod was inspired by HB users Marcje and TomC.

Here's a video of said switch in use:

Complete station as used daily. Uline 24" x 24" x 34" (L x W x H) two-shelf wire shelving unit with plastic wire shelf-liners
(https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H- ... x-34-Black), (https://www.shelving.com/24-d-Plastic-W ... 6UQAvD_BwE)

Thanks again for providing the resources for newcomers to follow and construct, these forums are extremely enlightening and a huge contribution to better coffee experiences!

Jordan

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#188: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Jordan, nice clean set up. I can't quite see what you have in the blue tank to draw out the water, and how the connection to the tank works. Can you post images of that please.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

jsadler

#189: Post by jsadler »

Updated my post to include pictures of the pickup line!