Easiest way to make rpavlis water? - Page 8

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
harris

#71: Post by harris »

Potassium Bicarbonate and Distilled Water, close enough?

tennisman03110

#72: Post by tennisman03110 »

Yes -- it's not an exact science. Close is close enough.

Advertisement
Roughrider

#73: Post by Roughrider »

belegnole wrote:Mark, I am one of those who mixes my water by the gallon. What I do is very close to that above, but my final mix is in a gallon jug.

Here's what I've gotten from Dr Pavlis' posts.

My concentrate recipe; same ratio, smaller volume.

10 grams potassium bicarbonate
100 grams distilled water

That's it done.

Now here's where the Dr's 50-100 gram variable comes in. He stated that he would vary the strength based on the type of roast coffee. For dark 50%, for light 100%.

So worth that in mind. As I use gallons I add the following concentrate to a gallon of distilled water.

1.9 grams for a dark roast.
3.8 grams for a light roast.

Most people just use the 100% (3.8gram) recipe. Obviously you could adjust this to your taste. Others have added other minerals to do this or that. I'm not sure if there's a perfect recipe. But I like it simple, and this one is.
Apologize, but are you saying you add 1.9g of your concentrated mixture to a falling jug for dark roast, or 1.9g of the potassium bicarbonate to the gallon? Thanks in advance.

Grant

#74: Post by Grant »

@Roughrider, not sure if you got an answer to your inquiry, but instead of trying to verify exactly what you were asking (as I was not sure), in the end, there are numerous ways to make the rpavlis water. Personally, I think the easiest way is:

1) For small amounts, pick up a mg accuracy scale and then add 100 mg of potassium bicarbonate into 1 L of distilled water (or whatever proportion you want).

2) For larger volumes, I make 5 gallon (19l) jugs based on RO water I get refills for, and measure out and add 1.9g of potassium bicarbonate. I have a scale that is accurate to 1/10th of a gram. To help it dissolve, I first add the potassium bicarbonate to 1/4 cup or so of boiler water, dissolve, then add to large jug. I still roll it around a bit to ensure mixing.
Grant

homeburrero
Team HB

#75: Post by homeburrero »

Roughrider wrote:Apologize, but see you saying you add 1.9g of your concentrated mixture to a falling jug for dark roast, or 1.9g if the potassium bicarbonate to the gallon? Thanks in advance.
I'm not belegnole, but it's clear to me that he adds 1.9 grams or 3.8 grams of his concentrate solution (the latter for the full strength rpavlis recipe) to a gallon of distilled water. That comes out just right for his concentrate, but would be too much by a factor of 10 if adding pure potassium bicarbonate powder.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Roughrider

#76: Post by Roughrider »

Grant wrote:@Roughrider, not sure if you got an answer to your inquiry, but instead of trying to verify exactly what you were asking (as I was not sure), in the end, there are numerous ways to make the rpavlis water. Personally, I think the easiest way is:

1) For small amounts, pick up a mg accuracy scale and then add 100 mg of potassium bicarbonate into 1 L of distilled water (or whatever proportion you want).

2) For larger volumes, I make 5 gallon (19l) jugs based on RO water I get refills for, and measure out and add 1.9g of potassium bicarbonate. I have a scale that is accurate to 1/10th of a gram. To help it dissolve, I first add the potassium bicarbonate to 1/4 cup or so of boiler water, dissolve, then add to large jug. I still roll it around a bit to ensure mixing.
Thanks Grant, that makes perfect sense!

Gr4v1ty

#77: Post by Gr4v1ty »

I think the mods should edit the initial post in RED instead of a small note I haven't seen the first time around. Creates a lot of confusion since this is the result that first pops up when googling "rpavlis water".

Advertisement
homeburrero
Team HB

#78: Post by homeburrero replying to Gr4v1ty »

Good point. I'll increase the font size of my moderator comment, move it right up next to the erroneous statement, and strikeout/edit the OP's text to make sure people who only read this first post get a correct recipe.

Fortunately, Google's 'featured snippet' uses text from post #4 in this thread which has the formula right:

Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

NeilKuo

#79: Post by NeilKuo »

I just bought a BDB recently, thank you so much for this thread. It got me on the right track from the start, I only have a scale that measures to one decimal place, here's how I do it. I don't know if there is too much big problem.

Concentration: 10..7g of sodium bicarbonate dissolved in 1000g of water.
Dosage: 14.8g (or ml) of concentrate for 1893ML of RO water.

I measured TDS to be 60PPM

nfitz9110

#80: Post by nfitz9110 »

10 grams potassium bicarbonate to 1 liter of distilled water to make a concentrate
38 grams of the concentrate to each gallon of distilled water

easy, done. takes 10 seconds for each new gallon.